What we’re looking for
We're looking for a motivated Planning Associate to join our team at Abodu. Your job will be entirely focused on getting housing units approved and permitted in many jurisdictions throughout the Bay Area region (and beyond!). You will report directly to the Director of Planning, with the objective of assisting the planning team in managing multiple ADU projects at once. From walking a city partner through our projects, to learning the intricacies of a variety of different planning codes, it’s almost guaranteed that no two workdays will be the same. While it's tough to define the wide range of tasks that this role is responsible for, we've taken our best shot below.
It’s an amazing chance to be an early hire at a series A startup that’s rapidly growing and defining a new multi-billion-dollar category. And, we’ve got an inspiring, brilliant and inclusive team.
- Commit to Abodu’s internal team and City partners to maintain a high level of engagement and deliver projects
- Lead the permitting process on projects throughout Northern California
- Manage timely responses and submittals on site specific projects
- Coordinate with external partners and internal teammates to solve problems and increase efficiencies in many different municipalities
- Build partnerships with key municipalities
- Assist with City stakeholder responses and relationship building
- Serve as a City-facing liaison during meetings and potential events
- Help the Abodu Planning Team grow and improve their processes
- Identify and diagnose points of inefficiency and recommend solutions
- Research new areas of Abodu’s business and document City regulations relating to ADUs
- Create and document permitting processes using diagrams, images, and code sources
- Communicate cross-functionally with Sales and Fulfillment teams to understand all sides of the business
- Assistance and leadership opportunities with special urban planning projects and research
- Background in Urban Planning, Architecture or a related field
- 2-3+ years of experience in a planning or related role
- Strong interest in housing and urban planning
- Proficient in Adobe PDF and Google Suite
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Self-starter who takes initiative and responsibility for their work and actions to their team
- Comfort working in the uncertainty of a new company, with a consistently evolving agenda
- Ability to manage multiple projects and coordinate cross-functional schedules
- An eye for quality, detail, and a desire to perform at a high level
- Eagerness to learn, research, and solve new problems
- Experience in the public sector is a plus
- General knowledge of municipalities throughout the Bay Area is a plus
- Experience with AutoCAD is a plus
- Previous management experience is a plus
What We Offer:
The below represents the expected salary range for this position in Redwood City, CA. We take a number of factors into account when determining compensation including your location, experience, and other job-related factors.
Salary Range: $76,000 to $98,000 annually + equity + benefits- Abodu expects to hire for this position near the middle of the range. Only in truly rare or exceptional circumstances where a candidates experience, credentials, or expertise far exceed those required or expected will we consider and offer at the top of the salary range.
Abodu offers a competitive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, paid time off, company holidays, stock option plan, and commuter benefits.
Please note that all Abodu employees are required to be vaccinated.
Abodu is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.