Flight Software Engineer
Denver, CO, USA
Posted on Friday, August 11, 2023
Satellite imagery is a historically-scarce resource, whose adoption has been slowed by an unbalanced relationship between price and resolution. In theory, frequent, ultra-high-resolution imagery of Earth has near-infinite applications; in reality, only a sliver of that potential has been realized.
Albedo aims to be the catalyst in unlocking satellite imagery’s latent potential, hoping to expand current applications and propel the discovery of new use cases. Whether our imagery is being used to reduce wildfire risk, assess the environmental impact of global forestry, contribute to timely 3D reconstructions of urban areas, or monitor carbon emissions from industrial power plants, our mission is to get better data into the hands of decision-makers fast. We’re modernizing how satellite imagery is used by providing near real-time access to our ultra-high resolution data.
What We’re Up To: Albedo is developing a novel approach to the earth observation industry, both in space and with our business model. We are intentionally doing things differently by taking (calculated) risks, trying new things, and moving with speed. Our team believes satellite imagery is a valuable resource that should be made accessible, in every sense of the word. We are committed to our customers, ensuring that what we’re building is what they want. We are playing at the edges of how traditional New Space technologies have been approached, and we want to shake up the industry as it stands today.
Who We’re Looking For: Albedo is launching next-generation, ultra-high-resolution imaging satellites to service a global audience through a modern, cloud-based product interface. In order to achieve this goal, we are looking for a team of people who are both passionate about our mission and are willing to put in the work to design, develop, and test an innovative earth observation concept in the commercial industry. The times ahead will be set in a fast-paced, often uncertain environment, but if you are hard-working, kind, and team-oriented, you can expect a rewarding and purposeful experience.
At Albedo our mission is to bring 10-cm imagery to the masses, and as our Flight Software Engineer, you’ll be playing a critical part in our software development, verification, and roadmap to the future!
We’re developing a highly precise and nimble satellite that’s flying in Very-Low Earth Orbit (VLEO) to reach our 10-cm goal (and let’s not forget the 2-meter thermal imagery to boot)! We’ve got tight timing constraints in our spacecraft, and software performance is key to achieving that goal. We embody high-speed and low drag!
If furthering your experience in embedded Linux, real-time operating systems, performance benchmarking, and hardware offloading sounds exciting, then read on!
What You'll Do
- Work directly with avionics hardware to develop highly performant software in embedded Linux.
- Benchmark our solutions to ensure we’re meeting our tight timing constraints.
- Design software solutions that can communicate between real-time operating systems and embedded Linux.
- Verify our software works end-to-end, from ground communication to spacecraft commanding.
- Participate in integration and test campaigns to ensure our software is robust.
- Assist in maintaining automated systems for CI/CD, both software-only and hardware solutions.
Your Ideal Skills and Experience
- Understand trade-offs when it comes to topics such as memory, processor capabilities, hardware offloading, latency/bandwidth, or build versus re-use.
- Can use version control, such as Git (hint: we use it), and you might be pedantic about how you version your software (like using SemVer).
- Demonstrate a core competency in one, or many, of the following: networking communication, distributed computing, Linux driver development, middleware frameworks, state machine modeling, real-time operating systems, software/hardware simulations, or pick your flavor of nerding out and tell us!
- Most importantly, want to learn, and want to be challenged.
- Have read all of this and are excited to apply!
Even if you feel like you don’t meet all of the qualifications, we encourage you to apply! Research shows that while men apply to jobs where they meet an average of 60% of the criteria, women and other marginalized people tend to only apply when they meet 100% of the qualifications.
Compensation and Benefits
- Employee friendly equity compensation
- Remote-friendly, asynchronous culture with flexible working hours
- 4% direct matching 401k
- Insurance: Medical, Vision, Dental, Mental Health
- Parental leave and childcare coverage
- Relocation bonus for moving to our Denver, CO HQ
- 20 paid vacation days, yours from day one
- 10 company holidays and unlimited sick days
- $100 monthly wellness benefit
- Team retreats to build relationships in-person
Albedo does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our careers email or to Albedo employees. Albedo is not responsible for any fees or overhead related to unsolicited resumes.
Full-Time On-Site Work Environment: This position requires regular in-person engagement by working on-site full-time. Travel to other possible non-Albedo locations may be required.
Relocation: Relocation for this position is available
Work is performed in an office environment, laboratory, cleanroom, or production floor.
US CITIZENSHIP IS REQUIRED
Additional Requirements: In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire. All persons hired will be required to be a U.S. citizen, a lawful permanent resident of the U.S., or protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Albedo is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Questions? Feedback? Feel free to email us at careers @ albedo.com