Senior Aerospace Technician
Denver, CO, USA
Posted on Saturday, September 23, 2023
Satellite imagery is a historically-scarce resource, whose adoption has been slowed by an unbalanced relationship between price and resolution. In theory, frequent, ultra-high-resolution imagery of Earth has near-infinite applications; in reality, only a sliver of that potential has been realized.
Albedo aims to be the catalyst in unlocking satellite imagery’s latent potential, hoping to expand current applications and propel the discovery of new use cases. Whether our imagery is being used to reduce wildfire risk, assess the environmental impact of global forestry, contribute to timely 3D reconstructions of urban areas, or monitor carbon emissions from industrial power plants, our mission is to get better data into the hands of decision-makers fast. We’re modernizing how satellite imagery is used by providing near real-time access to our ultra-high resolution data.
What We’re Up To: Albedo is developing a novel approach to the earth observation industry, both in space and with our business model. We are intentionally doing things differently by taking (calculated) risks, trying new things, and moving with speed. Our team believes satellite imagery is a valuable resource that should be made accessible, in every sense of the word. We are committed to our customers, ensuring that what we’re building is what they want. We are playing at the edges of how traditional New Space technologies have been approached, and we want to shake up the industry as it stands today.
Who We’re Looking For: Albedo is launching next-generation, ultra-high-resolution imaging satellites to service a global audience through a modern, cloud-based product interface. In order to achieve this goal, we are looking for a team of people who are both passionate about our mission and are willing to put in the work to design, develop, and test an innovative earth observation concept in the commercial industry. The times ahead will be set in a fast-paced, often uncertain environment, but if you are hard-working, kind, and team-oriented, you can expect a rewarding and purposeful experience.
What You'll Do
- In this critical position, the Senior Aerospace Technician will be responsible for the process development, buildup and testing of our solar array builds for our awesome spacecraft...
- Working with subject matter experts, demonstrate proficiency in designing, optimizing, and refining manufacturing processes for solar array assembly from individual solar cells
- Proven track record of successfully translating conceptual designs into efficient, scalable, and high-performance processes
- Possesses extensive hands-on experience in assembling complex assemblies, such as solar arrays, including interconnecting solar cells, applying encapsulants, and integrating supporting structures, ensuring precise alignment and electrical connectivity
- Proficient in utilizing specialized tools, equipment, and techniques required for the delicate and intricate assembly of solar arrays, including testing and rework of damaged arrays
- Collaborate closely with spacecraft engineering teams to ensure seamless integration of solar arrays into the spacecraft's overall design
- Help develop and execute rigorous testing protocols to assess material compatibility and performance under simulated space conditions
- Be your own quality control representative. Implement stringent quality control measures to guarantee the reliability and performance of solar arrays, including thorough inspection, testing, and documentation of assembly processes
- Proactively identify potential process bottlenecks, design challenges, or performance limitations and devise innovative solutions to overcome them
- Learn your way around the design. Understand the technical requirements and drawings and translate them into the product itself. Offer changes to design for improvements and be open to review of processes
Develop your processes:
Innovate and Problem Solve:
Your Ideal Skills and Experience
- Please note: This position requires regular in-person engagement by working on-site full-time.
- The ideal candidate will have built solar cells from individual CIC cells, and developed a process for an efficient build, but will have also demonstrated the ability to routinely and effectively remove broken cells and rework the entire string in a time-efficient manner
- Have experience working on components for space and an understanding of proper ESD, cleanliness, quality, record keeping, and assembly requirements/best practices
- Have a light touch and an eye for detail. Solar cells are fragile and require attention and control to avoid damaging or propagating damage
- You should be familiar/certified with IPC J-STD-001 (or equivalent) for soldering
- You should be familiar with resistance/micro/tig or other welding techniques
- You should be familiar with aerospace harnessing standards and experienced in harness fabrication
- You should be familiar with aerospace adhesives and have experience with conformal coat, bonding, staking, etc.
- You should be comfortable with both electrical and mechanical assemblies and understand how to interpret technical drawings of both PCBAs/schematics and mechanical drawings
- You will work collaboratively with multidisciplinary teams, including electrical, mechanical, and thermal engineers, to ensure seamless integration of solar arrays into the spacecraft's architecture
- You must possess a drive for continuous process improvement initiatives to enhance the efficiency, reliability, and performance of solar array manufacturing processes
- You should enjoy analyzing historical data and performance metrics to identify areas for optimization and implement corresponding changes
- You should have a background in safety protocols and procedures throughout the solar array assembly process, ensuring compliance with industry safety standards and regulations
Solar array assembly work:
Soldering, Welding, Harnessing, and Adhesives
Strive for Continuous Improvement
Experience with Standards and Codes; Keeping Everyone Safe
Even if you feel like you don’t meet all of the qualifications, we encourage you to apply! Research shows that while men apply to jobs where they meet an average of 60% of the criteria, women and other marginalized people tend to only apply when they meet 100% of the qualifications.
Compensation and Benefits
- Employee friendly equity compensation
- Remote-friendly, asynchronous culture with flexible working hours
- 4% direct matching 401k
- Insurance: Medical, Vision, Dental, Mental Health
- Parental leave and childcare coverage
- Relocation bonus for moving to our Denver, CO HQ
- 20 paid vacation days, yours from day one
- 10 company holidays and unlimited sick days
- $100 monthly wellness benefit
- Team retreats to build relationships in-person
Albedo does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our careers email or to Albedo employees. Albedo is not responsible for any fees or overhead related to unsolicited resumes.
Full-Time On-Site Work Environment: This position requires regular in-person engagement by working on-site full-time. Travel to other possible non-Albedo locations may be required.
Relocation: Relocation for this position is available
Work is performed in an office environment, laboratory, cleanroom, or production floor.
US CITIZENSHIP IS REQUIRED
Additional Requirements: In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire. All persons hired will be required to be a U.S. citizen, a lawful permanent resident of the U.S., or protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Albedo is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Questions? Feedback? Feel free to email us at careers @ albedo.com