Senior Security Engineer
Denver, CO, USA
Posted on Saturday, September 23, 2023
Satellite imagery is a historically-scarce resource, whose adoption has been slowed by an unbalanced relationship between price and resolution. In theory, frequent, ultra-high-resolution imagery of Earth has near-infinite applications; in reality, only a sliver of that potential has been realized.
Albedo aims to be the catalyst in unlocking satellite imagery’s latent potential, hoping to expand current applications and propel the discovery of new use cases. Whether our imagery is being used to reduce wildfire risk, assess the environmental impact of global forestry, contribute to timely 3D reconstructions of urban areas, or monitor carbon emissions from industrial power plants, our mission is to get better data into the hands of decision-makers fast. We’re modernizing how satellite imagery is used by providing near real-time access to our ultra-high resolution data.
What We’re Up To: Albedo is developing a novel approach to the earth observation industry, both in space and with our business model. We are intentionally doing things differently by taking (calculated) risks, trying new things, and moving with speed. Our team believes satellite imagery is a valuable resource that should be made accessible, in every sense of the word. We are committed to our customers, ensuring that what we’re building is what they want. We are playing at the edges of how traditional New Space technologies have been approached, and we want to shake up the industry as it stands today.
Who We’re Looking For: Albedo is launching next-generation, ultra-high-resolution imaging satellites to service a global audience through a modern, cloud-based product interface. In order to achieve this goal, we are looking for a team of people who are both passionate about our mission and are willing to put in the work to design, develop, and test an innovative earth observation concept in the commercial industry. The times ahead will be set in a fast-paced, often uncertain environment, but if you are hard-working, kind, and team-oriented, you can expect a rewarding and purposeful experience.
This position is responsible for creating massive leverage for the rest of the company by leading the strategy and implementation of secure, well-documented, and compliant IT and security infrastructure. The Senior Security Engineer will integrate into Albedo's engineering teams and work side by side with other engineers in our DevOps culture, ensuring that teammates can easily understand the boundaries within which they need to operate and can move unencumbered within those boundaries.
What You'll Do
- Assisting in the implementation of software and the supporting infrastructure to support compliance as well as writing secure code to support teams that need to write software in a compliant manner
- Ensuring cybersecurity best practices are embedded across development and deployment infrastructure and processes by working closely with software engineers to ensure they are following secure coding practices and integrating security into their development processes
- Ensuring compliance to ITAR, NIST 800-171, CMMC 2.0, SOC2, and other frameworks (as needed) across all levels of the company by implementing secure software engineering practices and cybersecurity best practices, including: creating training material and conducting assessments, practices towards ensuring company compliance; understanding where CUI resides and moves at Albedo, limiting its exposure to our systems and people while ensuring maximum company velocity.
- Implementing an enterprise tool strategy that maximizes Albedo’s ability to move with High Speed, Low Drag and minimizes risk, while complying to above frameworks by selecting secure tools and ensuring they are integrated with secure software engineering practices, including: researching and identifying new tools and methods to enable organizational agility; conducting audits to approve tools for company use by examining privacy, proprietary and confidential information sharing, network security, and compliance concerns; regularly identifying and evaluating security risks related to software tools, infrastructure, and DevOps practices.
- Creating disaster recovery plans and incident response plans in the event of a security breach
- Selecting, installing, and/or authoring the monitoring systems necessary to ensure Albedo maintains its compliance
Your Ideal Skills and Experience
- 5+ years of Software Engineering experience
- 3+ years of experience in cybersecurity, with a focus on DevSecOps.
- Previous experience with guiding a company’s tech stack and infrastructure towards ITAR and NIST 800-171 compliance
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, or a related field.
- Proficient in programming languages such as Python, Java, or C++.
- Extensive experience with cloud platforms like AWS, Azure, or Google Cloud.
- Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP) or Certified Information Security Manager (CISM) certification is a plus.
Compensation and Benefits
- Employee friendly equity compensation
- Remote-friendly, asynchronous culture with flexible working hours
- 4% direct matching 401k
- Insurance: Medical, Vision, Dental, Mental Health
- Parental leave and childcare coverage
- Relocation bonus for moving to our Denver, CO HQ
- 20 paid vacation days, yours from day one
- 10 company holidays and unlimited sick days
- $100 monthly wellness benefit
- Company and team retreats to build relationships in-person
Albedo does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our careers email or to Albedo employees. Albedo is not responsible for any fees or overhead related to unsolicited resumes.
Full-Time On-Site Work Environment: This position requires regular in-person engagement by working on-site full-time. Travel to other possible non-Albedo locations may be required.
Relocation: Relocation for this position is available
Work is performed in an office environment, laboratory, cleanroom, or production floor.
US CITIZENSHIP IS REQUIRED
Additional Requirements: In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire. All persons hired will be required to be a U.S. citizen, a lawful permanent resident of the U.S., or protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Albedo is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Questions? Feedback? Feel free to email us at careers @ albedo.com