About the role:
You have an entrepreneurial spirit. You crave a creative and collaborative—rather than purely adversarial—experience in the law. You are a skilled and concise writer and communicator, and excel at and enjoy detail-oriented tasks, fact-finding, and investigative work. You are eager to take on an in-house role on a small and supportive team that affords opportunity for professional growth. You look forward to channeling your skills into supporting and advocating for a mission-driven and groundbreaking business. You embrace and are not daunted by ambiguity or a challenge, have a perennially positive attitude, and are eager to help build a legal department and support the business in a fast-paced and innovative startup environment. You enjoy taking the lead on projects and naturally take the initiative to solve problems and improve and streamline systems and processes.
- Contribute to legal strategy and day-to-day commercial and corporate work, as well as management of any pending litigation and investigations, including HR and other employment matters
- Assist with legal operations work, and work closely with the Trust and Safety and People Operations functions
- Support the work of senior members of the legal team as needed.
What success looks like 90 days in:
- You are deeply familiar with the legal team’s commercial and corporate work, as well as pending matters, and are adept at communicating and coordinating with outside counsel
- You are taking a lead role in legal operations work that supports the legal team.
- You are taking a lead role in supporting the work of functions such as People Operations.
- Your senior teammates view you as an invaluable contributor to their success and the team’s success.
Need to have:
- JD, admission to a state bar.
- Bias toward action and solving (not just spotting) problems
- Ability to take ownership of your work and manage projects independently
- Commercial, transactional, and/or corporate legal experience (including in a summer role during law school)
- Excellent communication and writing abilities
- Comfort and skill navigating complexity and ambiguity and working on a leanly staffed team
- Ability to work under pressure and autonomously and meet tight deadlines
- Agility and flexibility to take on new tasks and responsibilities when necessary to support the business and legal team’s needs in a fast-moving, rapidly scaling, and dynamic tech company
Nice to have:
- Clerkship experience
- Expertise in the areas of employment (including immigration matters) and data privacy/security
- Experience working cross-culturally and with diverse, global teams
Something looks off?