Head of Operations
At Coinbase, our mission is to increase economic freedom around the world, and we couldn’t do this without hiring the best people. We’re a group of hard-working overachievers who are deeply focused on building the future of finance and Web3 for our users across the globe, whether they’re trading, storing, staking or using crypto. Know those people who always lead the group project? That’s us.
There are a few things we look for across all hires we make at Coinbase, regardless of role or team. First, we look for candidates who will thrive in a culture like ours, where we default to trust, embrace feedback, and disrupt ourselves. Second, we expect all employees to commit to our mission-focused approach to our work. Finally, we seek people who are excited to learn about and live crypto, because those are the folks who enjoy the intense moments in our sprint and recharge work culture. We’re a remote-first company looking to hire the absolute best talent all over the world.
Ready to #LiveCrypto? Who you are:
- You’ve got positive energy. You’re optimistic about the future and determined to get there.
- You’re never tired of learning. You want to be a pro in bleeding edge tech like DeFi, NFTs, DAOs, and Web 3.0.
- You appreciate direct communication. You’re both an active communicator and an eager listener - because let’s face it, you can’t have one without the other. You’re cool with candid feedback and see every setback as an opportunity to grow.
- You can pivot on the fly. Crypto is constantly evolving, so our priorities do, too. What you worked on last month may not be what you work on today, and that excites you. You’re not looking for a boring job.
- You have a “can do” attitude. Our teams create high-quality work on quick timelines. Owning a problem doesn’t scare you, but rather empowers you to take 100% responsibility for achieving our mission.
- You want to be part of a winning team. We’re stronger together, and you’re a person who embraces being pushed out of your comfort zone.
The Head of Operations, Ireland (Chief Operating Officer) will primarily be responsible for administering and overseeing all aspects of the Outsourcing Framework for CB Ireland and will work with security, technology and operations stakeholders from across the firm to develop and manage the Operational Resilience Management Program. They will continue to build out core operations management controls and efficiencies for the Irish legal entity, develop key MIS, and support broader Coinbase Operations Management, Legal, Compliance and Risk on major regulatory/policy efforts initiatives in the region.
The ideal candidate is a collaborative, detailed oriented leader who will leverage their experience to successfully develop the CB Ireland operations management function. This role will work under the general supervision of the CB Ireland Country Director.
This is a Central Bank of Ireland Pre-Approved Control Function (PCF-42) and applicants must be confident of meeting the applicable standards of the CBI’s Fitness and Probity regime.
What you’ll be doing (ie. job duties):
- Oversee Coinbase Ireland’s operational functions in Ireland.
- Continue to develop and manage the firm’s Outsourcing framework.
- Work closely with Legal, Compliance and Risk on major regulatory/policy efforts
- Ensure that Coinbase operates in full compliance with applicable local regulatory requirements including but not limited to outsourcing, AML, CPC.
- Help to lead the building of a robust operations resilience framework and the implementation of DORA
- Drive more efficient execution across EMEA e-money and crypto operations
- Provide cross-border/pan European support
- Develop meaningful and insightful MIS to support day-to-day oversight and data driven decision making
- Scan for current trends, competitors and developments in the market to identify new or emerging risks and opportunities.
- Establish strong working relationships with Product, Engineering, Business Operations and Design counterparts to support products growth in EMEA
What we look for in you (ie. job requirements):
- Proven experience as a head of function or similar, preferably in regulated institutions.
- Proven track record in outsourcing oversight in a regulated environment including policies and procedures development and monitoring day-to-day outsourced activities.
- Good understanding of how the various functions of a regulated financial services business operate (e.g. Compliance, Finance, Risk, Treasury, Audit, Outsourcing)
- Solid understanding of the Ireland and European regulated payment and financial services landscape, particularly with respect to fintech, and past experience in engaging with regulators and managing operations that are subject to regulatory oversight
- Great communication skills in English and the ability to work effectively in remote-first organisation
- Comfortable interacting with stakeholders and from all levels in the organisation and th board of directors
- Analytical ability to derive meaningful insights for decision making in a data driven environment
- Keen interest in crypto/blockchain (expertise not a prerequisite but willingness to learn essential)
- Self-starter who is excited at the prospect of growing a business in a fast developing sector
- Pragmatic and solutions-oriented - always looking for more efficient and effective ways to do things.
- This is a Central Bank of Ireland Pre-Approved Control Function (PCF-42) and applicants must be confident of meeting the applicable standards of the CBI’s Fitness and Probity regime.
Nice to haves:
- Previous experience working in a multinational / US-headquartered business
- Experience with retail-oriented payments, trading, or brokerage platforms
- Previous work experience or personal interest in crypto/blockchain space
Commitment to Equal Opportunity
Coinbase is committed to diversity in its workforce and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation or any other basis protected by applicable law. Coinbase will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. For US applicants, you may view Pay Transparency, Employee Rights and Know Your Rights notices by clicking on their corresponding links. Additionally, Coinbase participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.
Coinbase is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to accommodations[at]coinbase.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this site click here to download a free compatible screen reader (free step by step tutorial can be found here).
Global Data Privacy Notice for Job Candidates and Applicants
Depending on your location, the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) may regulate the way we manage the data of job applicants. Our full notice outlining how data will be processed as part of the application procedure for applicable locations is available here. By submitting your application, you are agreeing to our use and processing of your data as required. For US applicants only, by submitting your application you are agreeing to arbitration of disputes as outlined here.
Something looks off?