Senior Counsel, Product (Payments)
At Coinbase, our mission is to increase economic freedom around the world, and we couldn’t do this without hiring the best people. We’re a group of hard-working overachievers who are deeply focused on building the future of finance and Web3 for our users across the globe, whether they’re trading, storing, staking or using crypto. Know those people who always lead the group project? That’s us.
There are a few things we look for across all hires we make at Coinbase, regardless of role or team. First, we look for candidates who will thrive in a culture like ours, where we default to trust, embrace feedback, and disrupt ourselves. Second, we expect all employees to commit to our mission-focused approach to our work. Finally, we seek people who are excited to learn about and live crypto, because those are the folks who enjoy the intense moments in our sprint and recharge work culture. We’re a remote-first company looking to hire the absolute best talent all over the world.
Ready to #LiveCrypto? Who you are:
- You’ve got positive energy. You’re optimistic about the future and determined to get there.
- You’re never tired of learning. You want to be a pro in bleeding edge tech like DeFi, NFTs, DAOs, and Web 3.0.
- You appreciate direct communication. You’re both an active communicator and an eager listener - because let’s face it, you can’t have one without the other. You’re cool with candid feedback and see every setback as an opportunity to grow.
- You can pivot on the fly. Crypto is constantly evolving, so our priorities do, too. What you worked on last month may not be what you work on today, and that excites you. You’re not looking for a boring job.
- You have a “can do” attitude. Our teams create high-quality work on quick timelines. Owning a problem doesn’t scare you, but rather empowers you to take 100% responsibility for achieving our mission.
- You want to be part of a winning team. We’re stronger together, and you’re a person who embraces being pushed out of your comfort zone.
Coinbase is leading the expansion of digital currency into the financial mainstream. We are building a world-class legal team to support Coinbase and its affiliates as we continue to grow the company in the U.S. and internationally. You will be working in a cutting edge and fast paced environment, where disruptive technologies and unconventional thinking are the norm. Given the nascent state of the law, novel legal guidance is needed!
We are looking for a highly motivated, entrepreneurial, and experienced product counsel to join our product legal team as Senior Counsel, Product. This position will report to our Director and Associate General Counsel, Retail Product and will be working on a variety of consumer and platform products. This is a highly visible role throughout Coinbase, which will require you to build strong relationships with your teammates and business partners. You’ll be embedded with Coinbase product teams, and collaborate closely with product counsel team members, managers, engineers, UI/UX, and cross-department colleagues including privacy, regulatory and international counsel, Compliance and Finance. You’ll take a thought leadership role in advising our Product business on specific aspects of product development and implementation.
What you’ll be doing (i.e., job duties):
- Join and contribute to a best-in-class crypto product legal team, embedded with the Consumer business.
- Integrate into the day-to-day operations of Coinbase Consumer, providing legal, business and strategic advice. Look around corners and creatively solve problems for the business as they plan, build, and execute on their product roadmap.
- Provide full product life-cycle counseling, from ideation and development to launch, operation and sunset.
- Ensure product compliance with applicable U.S. and international laws and regulations, in close collaboration with colleagues in Legal and the Compliance team.
- Identify issues that may fall outside your expertise, driving resolution by partnering with other members of the Coinbase legal team and with outside counsel.
- Work cross-departmentally, including with stakeholders such as Compliance, Communications, Finance, Tax, Security, Enterprise Risk Management, Data, Analytics, and Corporate Development.
- Respond promptly to a wide range of complex legal requests and coordinate closely with Legal department colleagues to ensure the swift delivery of smart, practical advice.
- Operate in a fast paced, demanding environment and pivot quickly to meet leadership's needs.
- Recognize priority initiatives and effectively manage your clients and your advice to scale your advice and provide the right level of guidance for request at hand.
What we look for in you (i.e., job requirements):
- Currently licensed in a U.S. state. J.D. or equivalent with 8+ years of legal experience, preferably with in-house experience with a consumer financial services business, a fintech or crypto/blockchain company launching banking, trading and/or risk services products
- You have experience counseling product teams in launching financial services or technology products and providing pre-publication review of marketing presentations, advertising materials, digital content including webpages and videos, online promotions, social media
- You have a strong interest in digital currency, blockchain technology, and innovative constructs pioneered by decentralized finance.
- You are familiar with consumer financial services regulation and agencies (Reg E, FinCEN MSB, State MTLs, SEC, ECOA/FCRA/TILA) and consumer services and internet regulations and agencies (FTC UDAAP, CDA 230, Privacy/GDPR)
- You have experience with build-outs to support Anti Money Laundering (AML)/Know-your-customer (KYC) requirements, and regulated e-money and money transmission obligations under banking laws.
- You have proven problem-solving, communication and interpersonal skills.
- You exercise excellent legal judgment with analytic rigor, prudential risk assessment, and a balance of realizable creativity and pragmatism.
- You are comfortable with risk-adjusted thinking, and can understand when interpretive flexibility is warranted.
- You are team-oriented and collaborative, you bring cross-departmental colleagues to the table, and build your practice to enable your clients to successfully build and launch crypto products at Coinbase.
Commitment to Equal Opportunity
Coinbase is committed to diversity in its workforce and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation or any other basis protected by applicable law. Coinbase will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. For US applicants, you may view Pay Transparency, Employee Rights and Know Your Rights notices by clicking on their corresponding links. Additionally, Coinbase participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.
Coinbase is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please complete this intake form to let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this site click here to download a free compatible screen reader (free step by step tutorial can be found here).
Global Data Privacy Notice for Job Candidates and Applicants
Depending on your location, the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) may regulate the way we manage the data of job applicants. Our full notice outlining how data will be processed as part of the application procedure for applicable locations is available here. By submitting your application, you are agreeing to our use and processing of your data as required. For US applicants only, by submitting your application you are agreeing to arbitration of disputes as outlined here.