Data Science Manager
At Coinbase, our mission is to increase economic freedom around the world, and we couldn’t do this without hiring the best people. We’re a group of hard-working overachievers who are deeply focused on building the future of finance and Web3 for our users across the globe, whether they’re trading, storing, staking or using crypto. Know those people who always lead the group project? That’s us.
There are a few things we look for across all hires we make at Coinbase, regardless of role or team. First, we look for candidates who will thrive in a culture like ours, where we default to trust, embrace feedback, and disrupt ourselves. Second, we expect all employees to commit to our mission-focused approach to our work. Finally, we seek people who are excited to learn about and live crypto, because those are the folks who enjoy the intense moments in our sprint and recharge work culture. We’re a remote-first company looking to hire the absolute best talent all over the world.
Ready to #LiveCrypto? Who you are:
- You’ve got positive energy. You’re optimistic about the future and determined to get there.
- You’re never tired of learning. You want to be a pro in bleeding edge tech like DeFi, NFTs, DAOs, and Web 3.0.
- You appreciate direct communication. You’re both an active communicator and an eager listener - because let’s face it, you can’t have one without the other. You’re cool with candid feedback and see every setback as an opportunity to grow.
- You can pivot on the fly. Crypto is constantly evolving, so our priorities do, too. What you worked on last month may not be what you work on today, and that excites you. You’re not looking for a boring job.
- You have a “can do” attitude. Our teams create high-quality work on quick timelines. Owning a problem doesn’t scare you, but rather empowers you to take 100% responsibility for achieving our mission.
- You want to be part of a winning team. We’re stronger together, and you’re a person who embraces being pushed out of your comfort zone.
Data Science is an integral component of Coinbase’s product and decision making process: we work in partnership with Product, Engineering and Design to influence the roadmap and better understand our users. With a deep expertise in experimentation, analytics and advanced modeling, we produce insights which directly move the company’s bottom line.
We are looking for an experienced manager to lead the data science work for our International team, which focuses on expanding Coinbase’s presence around the globe. You’ll work with your team to devise growth strategies for priority markets, support a culture of product development through experimentation, and hold a high bar for rigorous and analytical decision making
What you’ll be doing (ie. job duties):
- Manage, mentor and grow a team of data scientists and build solid working partnerships with product teams
- Act as a strategic thought partner to product teams and Coinbase executives; lead the team to execute on data-based analyses to help prioritize product opportunities and provide actionable recommendations
- Standardize best practices for analysis, modeling and experimentation; Develop scalable processes to help the team solve pain points and meet goals
- Design communication structure and cadence with team members; Synthesize data learnings (success or failures) into compelling stories and communicate them throughout Coinbase
- Act as the business metrics owner for performance management
- Drive data team and organizational level initiatives to scale our insights through better systems and automation
What we look for in you (ie. job requirements):
- BA / BS degree business, computer science, statistics, applied mathematics, or any scientific or computational degree
- 5+ years of experience as a hands-on leader of a high-performing data science/analytics team
- 7+ years of experience providing business insights and driving data science initiatives
- Experience in both internal and external storytelling and executive presentations
- Expertise with analytics tools, data visualization, SQL, R, or Python as applied to data science and analytics
- Deep knowledge of data models and experimental design and execution
- Excellent ability to communicate complicated and nuanced insights in accessible language to relevant stakeholders
- Demonstrate our core cultural values: clear communication, positive energy, continuous learning, and efficient execution
- Self-driven and able to create plans for analytics projects and build collaboration within the team
Nice to haves:
- Masters or PhD in business, computer science, statistics, applied mathematics, or any scientific or computational degree
- Be able to proactively manage prioritization of work and deliver work with great quality and influence the broader team in creating leverage
- Previous experience working with the product team in experimentation, causal inference is a plus
- Experience with Looker, Tableau or other business intelligence platforms
- Domain experience in Fintech product and growth areas
- Experience manipulating large amounts of structured and unstructured data
Commitment to Equal Opportunity
Coinbase is committed to diversity in its workforce and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation or any other basis protected by applicable law. Coinbase will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. For US applicants, you may view Pay Transparency, Employee Rights and Know Your Rights notices by clicking on their corresponding links. Additionally, Coinbase participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.
Coinbase is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please complete this intake form to let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this site click here to download a free compatible screen reader (free step by step tutorial can be found here).
Global Data Privacy Notice for Job Candidates and Applicants
Depending on your location, the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) may regulate the way we manage the data of job applicants. Our full notice outlining how data will be processed as part of the application procedure for applicable locations is available here. By submitting your application, you are agreeing to our use and processing of your data as required. For US applicants only, by submitting your application you are agreeing to arbitration of disputes as outlined here.