Android Software Engineer
Remote · United States
Posted on Monday, August 16, 2021
Empower is a high-growth financial technology company on a mission to expand access to fair credit to give anyone in the world the opportunity to improve their financial security and mobility. We dream up and launch one-of-a-kind features that help our members get money instantly whenever they need it, save for the future, and rewrite their financial story. Our members see Empower Cash Advance as a life-saver, Empower Automatic Savings as a game-changer, and the new Empower Thrive line of credit (currently in beta, launching soon) as a lifeline to low-cost borrowing and the only practical path to building good credit.
Empower is backed by Sequoia Capital, Blisce, and Icon Ventures. Are we the next great place to grow your impact and accelerate your career? We think so:
Inc. ranked Empower #56 in the 2023 Inc. 5000 list of the fastest-growing private companies in the US (#55 in 2022). Forbes put Empower on its 2023 list of America's Best Startup Employers. Fast Company recognized the new Empower Thrive line of credit in their 2022 list of the Next Big Things in Tech.
WHAT EMPOWER OFFERS
Generous equity package
Full healthcare and dental benefits
Technology expense reimbursement
Work from anywhere
As an Android Software Engineer, you’ll create the Android mobile app that powers the Empower customer experience. You’ll engage with a collaborative, high powered team to develop solutions and lead product engineering on projects with a reach of millions. The solutions you’ll build will be robust, secure and easy to understand both for our users and your engineering peers. You’ll take end to end ownership of new features and product lines shaping work in early stages, building, deploying and running post deployment analysis to ensure we’re hitting our goals.
- Designing and building Android mobile apps
- Contribution and adherence to software engineering standards and practices
- Implementing secure coding standards in accordance with the Empower Secure Development Policy
- Perform on-going security testing and code review to improve software security
- Meeting sprint goals
- Leading and/or supporting feature specification activities (Product Engineering)
- Monitoring the performance of the Empower mobile app and applying corrective action through bug fixing and general improvement.
- Minimizing defects and improving reliability through: Development of automated tests, manual test validation, development of fit for purpose architecture and code, contributing to PRs
- Developing and maintaining the Android app build pipeline
- Publishing the App to the Google Play Store
- Collaborating cross-functionally to define, design and ship new features that create customer and business value.
- Playing an active role in advising and collaborating with design and product to flesh out the specifications of each epic.
- Writing engineering specs, including acceptance criteria and server contracts
- Grooming stories for upcoming sprints
- Maximising effective development and identifying new technology opportunities by: Keeping across Android development announcements, being across community best practice, discovering and evaluating new technologies
- Bachelor degree or greater within Computer Science, Software Engineering or a related subject
- 3+ years developing consumer facing Android apps
- Working experience in Kotlin and Android UI Frameworks
At Empower, we hire for people that push themselves to understand others and seek out ways to challenge their personal assumptions. Our hope is that by fostering such an environment, we strengthen our business and relationships by putting people first. We are committed to building a diverse, inclusive, and equitable workspace where everyone (regardless of age, education, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, or any personal characteristics) feels like they belong. Even if your experience doesn’t exactly match up to our job description, you should feel empowered to apply regardless!