Staff Software Engineer, Invoicing
Build the operating system for global trade
Flexport is building the first modern logistics platform to make global trade easier for everyone. We are solving complex problems on a global scale, and disrupting a multi-trillion dollar industry that has remained stubbornly unchanged. We help the world's fastest-growing brands manage their international supply chains, providing a fully-managed service for moving their products between any two places on the planet.
Our platform is built from the ground up, aggregating data from many different sources. We offer hundreds of different data points and our data model is constantly evolving as we continue to build the capabilities required to manage today’s complex global supply chains.
Flexport is a two sided marketplace that on the one hand sells services to our customers and on the other purchases services from our suppliers. Unlike traditional Marketplaces all services are not known upfront due to the dynamic nature of freight movement. All revenue Flexport collects ($3.2B in 2021) is handled by the invoicing teams' systems. Our systems enable transparent, accurate and timely revenue collection for the services Flexport provides in this relay race. Invoices need to be accurate to customers expectation, client financial stakeholders must trust Flexport’s invoices are as promised. Invoices must be financially complete and legally compliant.
Our team owns a very important company goal of reducing financial leakage by making sure all of Flexport’s cost is being accurately passed on to the right party. Invoicing team also supports payment collection via the core platform, refund, and adjustments of invoices as well as owns the revenue data that feeds into Flexport’s financial accounting. We strive to build products that delight our customers and reduce cost by eliminating data entry and increasing automation.
- Own the technical landscape for our invoicing platform and ensure the longevity of the solutions created by this team.
- Design and architect data models and systems handling currencies, revenue, payments to ensure there is an accurate and up to date view of the financial results of the work we are doing for our clients.
- Write and review code and be a role model for engineers at all levels on how software should be built.
- Tackle difficult and subtle system-level issues, emphasizing simplicity and long-lasting designs. As we extract services out of the monolith, we take pride in untangling legacy code and re-building with composability in mind.
- Onboard and mentor engineers. We believe in structured onboarding and mentoring processes to ensure a smooth transition into the team and then continued development on the team.
You should have:
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in Computer Science or related technical field, or equivalent experience.
- A strong technical background, preferably as a Staff, Sr.Staff or Principal engineer.
- Experience architecting and building complex, enterprise grade systems in a complex, multi-tiered, distributed environment
- Experience as a technical lead for a group of engineers and a demonstrated ability to lead teams through complex, technical decision processes.
- The ability to convey technical ideas in common terms to business partners, product managers, designers and engineers alike.
- A desire to develop your tooling repertoire. We are tech-agnostic regarding candidate background, but our platform is built with React, Ruby, communicating via GraphQL and gRPC/Protobuf.
At Flexport, we believe global trade can move the human race forward. That’s why it’s our mission to make it easy and accessible for everyone. We’re shaping the future of a $8.6T industry with solutions powered by innovative technology and exceptional people. Today, companies of all sizes—from emerging brands to Fortune 500s—use Flexport technology to move more than $19B of merchandise across 112 countries a year.
The recent global supply chain crisis has put Flexport center stage as we continue to play a pivotal role in how goods move around the world. At a valuation of $8B, we’re experiencing record growth and are proud to have the support of the best investors in the game who believe in our mission, solutions zand people. Ready to tackle global challenges that impact business, society, and the environment? Come join us.
We believe global trade can move the human race forward. That’s why it’s our mission to make global trade easier for everyone. We aim to do this by building the Operating System for Global trade - a strategic model combining advanced technology and data analytics, logistics infrastructure, and supply chain expertise. Flexport today connects almost 10,000 clients and suppliers across 116 countries, including established global brands like Georgia-Pacific as well as emerging innovators like Sonos. Started in 2013, we've raised over $1.3B in funding from SoftBank Vision Fund, Founders Fund, GV, First Round Capital and Y Combinator. We’re excited about the three big ways we’re moving forward after our $1B investment from SoftBank Vision Fund in February 2019.
Worried about not having any freight forwarding experience?
Don’t be! Many of us were once in your shoes.
Global trade is an infinitely fascinating but highly complex industry, where purchasing decisions are made every day rather than on an annually recurring basis. Don’t worry, you won’t need to become the world’s expert on ocean freight (we already hired that guy). We’ll look to you to apply your deep understanding of our key audiences, the funnel, and how to meet a digitally connected audience where they are.
It’s incredibly important for us to bring people from diverse backgrounds and experiences together with our industry veterans to help move this industry forward. Flexport is on a mission to make global trade easier for everyone because we believe it can help connect the world and break down economic barriers.
We know this industry is complex. That’s why we invest in education starting day one with Flexport Academy, a one week intensive onboarding program designed specifically to set every new Flexport employee up for success.
At Flexport, our ability to fulfill our mission of making global trade easy for everyone relies on having a diverse, dedicated and engaged workforce. That is why Flexport is committed to creating and nurturing an environment where anyone can be their authentic self. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical and mental disability, health status, marital and family status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
To learn more about what our tech teams have been up to, head to the Engineering Blog.
Something looks off?