Flexport Research Causal Analysis Summer Internship
We believe trade can move the human race forward. That’s why it’s our mission to make global trade easy for everyone. Flexport is building the platform for global logistics, empowering buyers, sellers and their logistics partners with the technology and services to grow and innovate. Today, companies of all sizes—from emerging brands to Fortune 500s—use Flexport technology to move more than $10B of merchandise across 112 countries every year.
Flexport is looking for a creative, technically-minded Research Economist Intern who is motivated to solve some of the world’s most challenging problems in freight forwarding. This position is preferred to be location in a hybrid-work model out our headquarters in San Francisco, CA. We are also open to remote opportunities for the right candidate.
We are a small team of economists dedicated to driving value by generating actionable insight through systematic and rigorous analysis for both internal and external stakeholders. Some of our work can be found at www.flexport.com/research.
The Research Economist Intern will help us with exciting problems related to the economics of global supply chains. As a freight forwarder developing industry-leading supply-chain technology, Flexport has access to unique, world-class, high-frequency data on the movement of freight by ocean, air, and land. The Research Economist Intern will work directly with this data and closely with a Flexport economist on high-impact research questions.
You will be responsible for owning and presenting a research project at the conclusion of your 12 week internship. The research team has intern projects covering all Flexport departments including pricing, experimentation, on time performance, and short-term and long-term planning.
- Lead and complete at least one project.
- Work with a supportive mentor who has a stake in your success and will help you grow.
- Perform data gathering and analysis.
- Research prior work to inform and develop rational hypotheses and quantify appropriate metrics & targets.
- Develop data analysis/machine learning solutions to support actionable insights OR deliver data-driven solutions to support automated decision-making.
- Work with large and complex data sets and solve difficult data analysis problems by applying advanced analytical methods as needed.
- Be a student in the second or third year of a Ph.D. program in the field of Economics, Industrial Organization, International Trade, Financial Engineering, Econometrics, Macroeconomics, Applied MicroEconomics or similar quantitative discipline interested in supply chain economics.
- Have experience performing statistical or econometric analysis in Python or R.
- Be enthusiastic about solving problems in the space of international supply chains
- Be available to intern full-time for 12 weeks
You will get:
- An assigned manager and mentor who will be dedicated to your success at Flexport.
- Opportunity to work with unique high-frequency data.
- Projects and assignments which will help build your knowledge and skills while making a measurable direct impact on the business.
- Visibility to leaders within the organization and opportunities to present your work/projects.
- Opportunity to join team-building activities to get you familiarized with your immediate team and other Flexport employees.
Worried about not having any logistics experience?
Don’t be! Our mission is to make global trade easy for everyone. That’s why it’s important to bring people from diverse backgrounds and experiences together with our industry veterans to help move the global logistics industry forward.
We know this industry is complex. That’s why we invest in education starting day one with Flexport Academy, a one week intensive onboarding program designed specifically to set every new Flexport employee up for success.
At Flexport, our ability to fulfill our mission of making global trade easy for everyone relies on having a diverse, dedicated and engaged workforce. That is why Flexport is committed to creating and nurturing an environment where anyone can be their authentic self. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical and mental disability, health status, marital and family status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
We believe global trade can move the human race forward. That’s why it’s our mission to make global trade easier for everyone. We aim to do this by building the Operating System for Global trade - a strategic model combining advanced technology and data analytics, logistics infrastructure, and supply chain expertise. Flexport today connects almost 10,000 clients and suppliers across 109 countries, including established global brands like Georgia-Pacific as well as emerging innovators like Sonos. Started in 2013, we've raised over $1.3B in funding from SoftBank Vision Fund, Founders Fund, GV, First Round Capital, and Y Combinator. We’re excited about the three big ways we’re moving forward after our recent $1B investment from SoftBank Vision Fund in February 2019.
Something looks off?