Head of Solutions
At Formic, we’re on a mission to revolutionize American manufacturing and create more abundance in the world. We believe in continuing the American legacy of innovation by making automation accessible to all manufacturers and increasing their factory productivity by 10x.
Built upon deep expertise in robotics and manufacturing, our unique Pay-for-Productivity robotics solutions combine the best automation technology, tools, and uptime services for manufacturers, paving the way for a new era of supercharged efficiency and competitiveness.
As the world faces growing pressure from rising costs and labor shortages, Formic is a uniquely powerful tool in overcoming these challenges. Fueled by our vision for a resurged “Made in America,” we’re growing fast - achieving 70% quarterly growth in customer count and ARR, with ~30% of our customers having already deployed multiple systems.
Supporting us in our mission, with investments thus far totaling over $30 million, are backers including Lux Capital, Initialized Capital and CEOs and founders of multiple Fortune 50 companies.
As the Head of Solutions at Formic, you will lead a team of Solutions Engineers who work in collaboration with our Sales team to evaluate and develop automation solutions for a variety of different customer applications. The role involves managing the team’s evaluation of a pipeline of opportunities, working with internal product managers and pre-qualified external systems integrators to scope and quote applications, and coordinating activity within the company to deliver customer-ready proposals and contracts to the salespeople. Your responsibility will be to manage your team to deliver against quality (both technical viability and adherence to standards), cost, and turnaround time goals.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Allocate incoming requests for scoping, support of customer site visits, proposal creation, and contract drafting to team members based on experience, workload, and geography
- Provide coaching and guidance to team members on approaches to take with unique applications, tools and resources, and on professional development opportunities
- Ensure consistent, high quality output from the team and compliance with standard operating procedures
- Work collaboratively with Formic’s Products and Partnerships Team to identify and fill product gaps as well as support easier quoting of products in our portfolio
- Work collaboratively with Formic’s Products and Partnerships, Deployment, and Monitoring & Maintenance Teams to tap other engineers to address incoming requests during peak demand periods
- Work collaboratively with Sales, Sales Operations, and Legal Teams to harmonize departmental tools and processes
- Serve as the first point of escalation for making decisions whether to proceed with a given opportunity
- Lead weekly “Deal Desk” meetings of executive decision makers to evaluate exception cases and be the point of contact for ensuring action on Deal Desk decisions
- Recruit and train new hires to ensure they quickly grow to expected levels of proficiency and productivity
- Maintain and develop productivity tools to distill knowledge, automate decision making, and improve quality and throughput of our Solutions Team
- 10+ years of experience in engineering functions focused on robotics automation in discrete manufacturing environments, preferably in design or specification of robotic systems.
- 5+ years experience in quoting solutions for robotics applications, preferably with a recognized systems integrator in at least two of our core vertical markets (Machine Tending, Palletizing, Case Packing, and Welding)
- 3+ years of demonstrated team leadership experience of an engineering-related function
- 3+ years of experience in the sales or support of robotic systems at end-users
- Awareness of the newest capabilities available in the robotics industry, in addition to a curiosity to learn
- Demonstrated experience as a customer of robotics systems integrators is a plus
- Superior written and verbal communications capabilities
- Proficient in Microsoft and/or Google Workspace office products, CAD and 3D Modeling experience a plus
Total rewards packages at Formic Technologies consist of salaries benchmarked against similar stage growth companies, insurance (medical, dental, vision, life, STD, LTD), and equity in Formic itself. As an early stage startup, equity is an important part of our investment in you, and your investment in Formic. When Formic succeeds, we all succeed.
Final offer amounts are custom-crafted, based on the cash/equity ratio preference of the candidate, as well as their experience, geographical location and cost of labor, and more, and may vary from the range listed below. Ultimately we’re seeking top performers who will make a difference to our business, and we’re open to negotiating the compensation structure for the right candidate.
The expected base pay range for this position is $135,000 - $235,000.
What We Offer
Formic believes we do our best work when we are equipped to take care of ourselves and our loved ones. To support this Formic offers comprehensive benefits and perks for full-time US-based employees*, including:
- Equity in Formic: your slice of ownership in a fast-growing Series A startup, backed by some of the best investors in the world
- 99% coverage for Medical, Dental, and Vision insurance plans (75% coverage for dependents) via Blue Cross Blue Shield and Guardian
- FSA & DCFSA
- Life insurance, Short Term Disability, and Long Term Disability plans (covered at 100%) via Guardian
- Employee Assistance Program
- Paid parental leave
- Company-sponsored 401k
- $2,000 Home Office allowance
- Monthly Phone & Internet Reimbursement
- Flexible time off policy and 10+ company holidays
- Bi-annual all-company retreats
*As our team grows, our benefit and perk offerings for employees based outside of the United States will vary. We are happy to discuss these options with you as part of our recruiting and interviewing experience.
Formic is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion or religious creed, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, marital status, family or parental status, disability, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. All employment decisions are based on a person’s merit, business needs, and role requirements. If you require further accommodations or have questions regarding accessibility of our roles, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Something looks off?