Senior Backend Software Engineer - Foundations
San Francisco, CA, USA
Posted on Thursday, April 7, 2022
Front is a customer operations platform that enables support, sales, and account management teams to deliver exceptional service at scale. Front streamlines customer communication by combining the efficiency of a help desk and the familiarity of email, with automated workflows and real-time collaboration behind the scenes. With Front, teams can centralize messages across channels, route them to the right person, and unlock visibility and insights across all of their customer operations.
More than 8,000 businesses across many different industries (manufacturing, logistics, travel, financial services, tech, etc.) use Front to drive operational efficiency that prevents churn, improves retention, and propels customer growth. Backed by Sequoia Capital and Salesforce Ventures, Front has raised $204M from leading venture capital firms and independent investors including top executives at Atlassian, Okta, Qualtrics, Zoom, and PagerDuty. Front has received numerous Great Place to Work accolades, including Y Combinator's list of Top Companies in 2023, #4 on Fortune’s Best Workplaces in the Bay Area™, Inc. Magazine's 2022 Best Workplaces list, Forbes Best Startup Employers 2022 List, and Best workplaces for Millennials 2022 list.
We are looking for engineers to join our Foundations team. This team is the steward of frameworks and systems upon which other teams build customer-facing functionality. Though building shared libraries, frameworks, and tooling, they ensure that the foundations upon which we build Front are scalable and reliable.
Skills and experiences
- Experience building frameworks and libraries; experience building distributed systems with an emphasis on reliability, observability, and performance
- Clear, structured thinking and excellent communication skills
- Exceptional software design fundamentals
- A track record of delivering projects of significant complexity
- Ability to thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced, collaborative, low-ego, and high-growth environment
Why is this role special?
- You’ll get exposure to many different types of systems across production frameworks (e.g. our task queue system that powers our event-driven architecture, real time events, CI/CD, and our batch job framework)
- You’ll heavily influence Front’s backend architecture and the patterns employed by the broader engineering team
- Your primary stakeholders are other engineering teams within Front
Visas: Applicants must be authorized to work for any employer in the U.S. We are unable to sponsor or take over sponsorship of an employment visa at this time
The San Francisco hiring salary range for this full-time position is $153,000 - $200,000 USD. Individual compensation packages are based on factors unique to each candidate, including job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, training, and market conditions. At Front, we take a market-based approach to pay. In addition to cash compensation (base salary, which may include commissions or overtime pay where applicable), Fronteers are eligible to receive equity in the company. This resource will provide additional information on our location zone designations. If you have questions, please speak with a member of our recruiting team for additional information.
These ranges may be modified by Front at our sole discretion in the future
What we offer
✨ Competitive salary
🤝 Equity (we are post-series D & backed by some of the best VCs in the US)
🏥 Private health insurance fully covered by Front
💪 Flexible Fridays - learn more here!
🏡 Flexibility to work from home 3 days/week (unless posted as a full-remote role)
🛋 Mental health support with Modern Health
🍼 Family planning support with Maven
Front provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age or disability.