Solutions Engineering Manager
Our strong customer support team is a major reason why companies choose Heap as the source of truth for all their customer data and why our customers love us so much! We’re looking to hire an experienced Manager of Solutions Engineering to lead a team of Solutions Engineers in the US. Our customers use Heap to make important business decisions, and Heap's Solutions team is on the front line helping by answering their emails, debugging complex technical issues, and devising strategies to help our clients get the most out of our product. The Solutions team works closely with our Customer Success, Engineering, and Product teams to advocate for our customers. As a leader on this critical team, you will be a strong player-coach: mentoring, enabling, and clearing roadblocks for your team, while making a direct impact with Heap’s customers.
This means you will:
- Form close relationships with our customers. Our customers will consider you part of their team.
- Become more knowledgeable about analytics infrastructure than anyone else. You will have complete context about our product and become an expert in the larger analytics space.
- Recruit, hire, and develop a team of deeply technical solutions engineers.
- Ensure that our customers receive prompt and effective technical support that meets their needs and exceeds their expectations.
- Collaborate with leadership to help define, prioritize, and document our strategy while maintaining processes to drive accountabilities to hit our strategic goals.
- Communicate technical concepts clearly. You will convey sound data principles to a wide-range of audiences: product managers, marketers, data scientists, engineers and C-level executives.
- Advocate for the best customer experience. Internally, you’ll serve as the voice of our customers when defining product requirements with engineers or helping marketers educate the world about analytics.
- Constantly iterate on our processes. You’ll work cross-functionally and manage special projects internally to help Heap scale as well as leverage opportunities for proactive engagement.
- Be an early warning system for customer and solution challenges.
- Create an environment for employee engagement.
- Be fully accountable for team and customer outcomes and individual development.
- Assist with interpersonal and other personnel issues.
- Empathize with teammates and customers.
- Lead by example delivering the best customer experience and fostering an atmosphere where teammates can accelerate their skills and careers.
30/60/90 Day Plan
- Within 30 days, you will:
- Understand Solutions Engineering operations
- Begin to become a product expert
- Triage and prioritize bugs and feature requests
- Act as internal liaison for our success, sales, marketing and engineering teams
- Within 60 days, you will:
- Understand Heap’s infrastructure
- Build custom dashboards for our customers
- Become a champion at soup-tasting -- you have a keen understanding of how our customers leverage Heap to deliver business outcomes
- Within 90 days, you will:
- Know Heap like the back of your hand
- Come up with clever workarounds to push Heap to the limits
- Handle customer escalations with ease; consistently delivering options that create customer loyalty and scale
- Have the ability to get tactical and hands on but coach the team to deliver solutions to the most challenging issues
- Be able to point to the line of code that is causing bugs and write your own scripts to make the team more efficient
You’re an empathetic person who is comfortable with ambiguity and is an incredibly fast learner and excels in a player-coach role. As a strategic advisor for our customers, you’ll face novel situations and provide expertise every day.
What we're looking for:
- Experienced support engineer who has acted as a team lead or manager of a small highly technical team in a growth stage startup, OR as an IC has led a collaborative initiative with demonstrable team-wide results
- Experience in screening, interviewing, onboarding, and mentoring support engineers
- Proficient in HTML, CSS, JS, SQL, working with various APIs, front end, and browser debugging
- A passion for helping people
- Experience with common support software like Zendesk, Salesforce, Zapier, etc
- (Nice to have) Knowledge of the analytics market and data infrastructure
- (Nice to have) One year of in-depth technical expertise with the Heap platform and infrastructure.
For New York City-based candidates, the base pay for this role is anticipated to be between $135,000-$170,000. The anticipated base pay range is based on information as of the time this post was generated. Actual compensation for successful candidates will be carefully determined based on a number of factors, including their skills, qualifications, and experience.
People are what make Heap awesome. Regardless of age, education, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, or any personal characteristics, we want everyone to feel welcome. We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive equal opportunity workplace everyone can call home.
Heap has raised $205M in funding from NEA, Y Combinator, Menlo Ventures, SVAngel, Sam Altman, Garry Tan, Alexis Ohanian, Harj Taggar, Ram Shriram, and others. We offer plenty of awesome benefits, and we are currently named #17 on Glassdoor’s Best Places to Work (SMB). We'd love to hear from you!
Something looks off?