Director, Financial Data
We're transforming the grocery industry
At Instacart, we invite the world to share love through food because we believe everyone should have access to the food they love and more time to enjoy it together. Where others see a simple need for grocery delivery, we see exciting complexity and endless opportunity to serve the varied needs of our community. We work to deliver an essential service that customers rely on to get their groceries and household goods, while also offering safe and flexible earnings opportunities to Instacart Personal Shoppers.
Instacart has become a lifeline for millions of people, and we’re building the team to help push our shopping cart forward. If you’re ready to do the best work of your life, come join our table.
Instacart is a Flex First team
There’s no one-size fits all approach to how we do our best work. Our employees have the flexibility to choose where they do their best work—whether it’s from home, an office, or your favorite coffee shop—while staying connected and building community through regular in-person events. Learn more about our flexible approach to where we work.
We're seeking a talented leader who is passionate about enabling our business through data to join our team and help us build, operate, and maintain the foundational datasets and pipelines we need for robust financial reporting, analysis, and business decision-making. This is an exciting opportunity to join the team as we establish the foundation for this critical capability.
In this leadership position reporting to the Senior Director of Financial Systems & Solutions within the CFO organization, you will be responsible for maintaining a strong relationship with partners in the finance team, platform engineering, and CISO, and leading a team to design, support, and scale a growing number of finance- and accounting-related data products where accuracy, completeness, immutability, and timeliness are key to success.
ABOUT THE JOB
- Manages departmental strategic plan (3yr), annual plan/forecasting, and capital budgeting process.
- Lead, inspire, and develop a growing team of engineers and analysts.
- Refine, build, and own detailed financial models that forecast and analyze operations in order to understand variances and opportunities to improve forecast accuracy.
- Act as the primary point of contact for internal and external auditors regarding data engineering and related SOX compliance matters.
- Coordinate and support audits, provide necessary documentation, evidence, and explanations of data-related controls and processes.
- Serve as a technical partner to CAO and VP-Strategic Finance. Provide thought leadership along with financial technology & process support to effectively and efficiently deliver finance product strategy as well as establish and enforce data governance policies and standards for the finance department.
- Collaborate with key stakeholders to establish financial products and operational objectives. Develop and standardize reporting structures, success metrics, and KPIs to facilitate informed decision-making and promote operational excellence.
- Partner with the Controllership Organization to ensure a timely and accurate monthly close process, assuring Accuracy and Completeness and root-cause the origin of any variation between systems.
- Implement and oversee the monthly team retrospective review process. Take the lead in reporting on critical operational and financial areas of importance.
- 3-5+ years of hands-on experience with transactional data on AWS or similar.
- 5+ years supporting and partnering with a fast-paced Accounting team.
- Experience integrating multiple software platforms and systems (e.g. Snowflake, S3, Marqeta, Oracle).
- Demonstrates full understanding of AWS data platform stacks.
- Strong analytical and problem resolution skills, including ability to research and simplify complex issues.
- Advanced analytical skills, report and management dashboard reporting experience (Tableau, Mode, Adaptive).
- Proven track record in building and managing SOX compliant financial data pipelines in cloud environments. Revenue pipeline experience on AWS is preferred.
- Deep knowledge of forecasting tools such as Adaptive as well as supporting forecasting models.
- Experience working closely with an Accounting team to improve the timing and quality of monthly financial reporting and analysis.
- Experience in evaluating and selecting appropriate cloud-based technologies and tools to support the finance data infrastructure.
- Demonstrate expertise in financial applications such as Oracle ERP especially the ledger (General Ledger and Chart of Accounts) and subledger models (Accounts Payable, Accounts receivable, Assets) and movement of those transactions through a Data Warehouse.
- Possess knowledge of the gig economy and other on-line business models, including working with common payments partners such as Stripe, Braintree, and Paypal.
- Ability to Identify opportunities to leverage technology to solve business problems. Drive efficiency through finance processes by automating, simplifying, or eliminating routine work.
- Demonstrate experience as a manager of managers, overseeing and effectively managing a team of engineers.
- Experience in multi-unit/legal entities, multi-currency, and complex organizations.
Instacart provides highly market-competitive compensation and benefits in each location where our employees work. This role is remote and the base pay range for a successful candidate is dependent on their permanent work location. Please review our Flex First remote work policy here.
Offers may vary based on many factors, such as candidate experience and skills required for the role. Additionally, this role is eligible for a new hire equity grant as well as annual refresh grants. Please read more about our benefits offerings here.
For US based candidates, the base pay ranges for a successful candidate are listed below.