Sr. Manager, Retail Ops Programs
We're transforming the grocery industry
At Instacart, we invite the world to share love through food because we believe everyone should have access to the food they love and more time to enjoy it together. Where others see a simple need for grocery delivery, we see exciting complexity and endless opportunity to serve the varied needs of our community. We work to deliver an essential service that customers rely on to get their groceries and household goods, while also offering safe and flexible earnings opportunities to Instacart Personal Shoppers.
Instacart has become a lifeline for millions of people, and we’re building the team to help push our shopping cart forward. If you’re ready to do the best work of your life, come join our table.
Instacart is a Flex First team
There’s no one-size fits all approach to how we do our best work. Our employees have the flexibility to choose where they do their best work—whether it’s from home, an office, or your favorite coffee shop—while staying connected and building community through regular in-person events. Learn more about our flexible approach to where we work.
About the Role
The Sr. Manager, Retail Ops Strategy is responsible for building a highly effective program to drive operational success as we bring Caper Carts and other in-store programs to our retailer partner’s stores and worldwide.
In this role, you will focus on leading and defining the operational strategies needed for each Caper Cart deployed to sustainably perform and thrive in the store environment in a scalable manner. You will work at the intersection of technology and in-store operations to solve our most critical challenges throughout the planning, launch, pilot, and scale stages of deployment.
You will partner closely with our operations leaders and their teams to deliver the program you build to our partners in a way that engages and motivates their store teams to support the success of Caper. You will also work cross-functionally with other leaders at Caper and other Connected Stores programs, serving as their operations subject matter expert on what is needed in stores to succeed. You will act as a thought partner to help them evolve the product to support success in the store environment.
About the Team
The Shopper & Retail Operations team focused on the intersection of Instacart technology and the physical world, supporting Shoppers and optimizing the in-store experience.
About the Job
- Prioritize and tackle the most impactful operations problems head-on, bringing structure and solutions needed to overcome complex and ambiguous problem spaces effectively and efficiently
- Partner directly with our Partner and Pilot Ops Excellence teams to identify critical problems to solve that unlock performance and growth of Caper and other programs in the retail environment
- Leverage observation, analytics, and the expertise you build in Caper’s product to identify opportunities for and drive continuous improvement in the retail environment
- Leverage dedicated analyst resources to build and execute a roadmap that brings data-driven approach to ambiguous problems
- Build robust operational solutions for today’s challenges with a scale-forward lens that anticipates and addresses tomorrow’s needs
- Identify and onboard new internal teams, tools, or vendors that support effective scaling of retail programs
- Identify and collaborate with the appropriate cross-functional partners discerningly and effectively, including product, engineering, design, and other teams. Clearly communicate an objective understanding of operational challenges that leads to the right investment outcomes across the team
- 6+ years of experience building and driving programs in retail operations
- Experience leading teams in large-scale initiatives across internal and client-facing stakeholders and partners with indirect authority. You’ve directly worked with teams outside of your direct discipline in previous roles including product, engineering, and analytics. You have effectively led change and transformation in these areas to support operations in impactful ways
- Experience collaborating across all levels of operations stakeholders including executives, corporate teams, retail managers, and store associates. Ability to overcome objections and collaboratively reach the right outcomes in a way that builds trust, engagement, and a sense of accomplishment for all parties involved
- Experience driving program technology implementation with retail teams and supporting change management required to do so effectively. A proven track record of driving ideation to execution to scale across multiple sites; the more, the better
- Highly effective in written and verbal communication. To craft and present compelling data-backed narratives that engage audiences. Ability to understand, attune to, and adjust content, style, and tone style to meet different audiences appropriately
- Experience collaborating directly with data scientists or similar roles to explore new data sets and execute investigation, complex analysis, and output that has been practically applied to drive change. Comfortable leveraging and manipulating their output in Mode, Periscope, Tableau, Excel, and other tools used for data analysis and visualization
- Ability to balance and manage strategy with a sense of urgency, while simultaneously delivering results. Proven ability to work independently and thrive in a fast-paced environment.
- Graduate degree in business, economics, operations research engineering, or related disciplines with practical application
- Previous experience in driving continuous improvement tools and methodologies to understand problems
- Experience in a client-facing role
- Management experience
Instacart provides highly market-competitive compensation and benefits in each location where our employees work. This role is remote and the base pay range for a successful candidate is dependent on their permanent work location. Please review our Flex First remote work policy here.
Offers may vary based on many factors, such as candidate experience and skills required for the role. Additionally, this role is eligible for a new hire equity grant as well as annual refresh grants. Please read more about our benefits offerings here.
For US based candidates, the base pay ranges for a successful candidate are listed below.