Senior Software Developer in Test, Caper
We're transforming the grocery industry
At Instacart, we invite the world to share love through food because we believe everyone should have access to the food they love and more time to enjoy it together. Where others see a simple need for grocery delivery, we see exciting complexity and endless opportunity to serve the varied needs of our community. We work to deliver an essential service that customers rely on to get their groceries and household goods, while also offering safe and flexible earnings opportunities to Instacart Personal Shoppers.
Instacart has become a lifeline for millions of people, and we’re building the team to help push our shopping cart forward. If you’re ready to do the best work of your life, come join our table.
Instacart is a Flex First team
There’s no one-size fits all approach to how we do our best work. Our employees have the flexibility to choose where they do their best work—whether it’s from home, an office, or your favorite coffee shop—while staying connected and building community through regular in-person events. Learn more about our flexible approach to where we work.
About the Role
You will be joining a dynamic team consisting of manual and automation test engineers working on cutting-edge technology. You will be instrumental in building and maintaining automation frameworks across all of our products. You will be Identifying a variety of automation tools and evaluating which brings the most value for our products not only from a software perspective but also from a hardware perspective. You will be a key player in laying down our foundational building blocks to increase our automation coverage and streamline our continuous integration process to achieve quicker release cycles. You will establish best practices and standards throughout our QA department. You will closely collaborate, actively participate, and have a voice on our team to ensure our products are delivered with the highest quality possible.
About the Team
Caper is one of the critical pillars of Instacart’s new Connected Store technology. Caper offers smart shopping carts powered by deep learning and computer vision to enable a seamless grab-and-go retail experience.
About the Job
- Spearhead the development of automated functional integration tests and E2E tests across all our products utilizing open-source test frameworks.
- A Hands-on self-motivated engineer capable of working collaboratively in building a continuous integration environment.
- Perform complex database queries and manipulations for test, staging, etc.
- Perform functional, regression, integration, smoke, E2E, load and performance testing.
- Assist with manual testing as needed.
- Develop trained data, test data, and model validations for machine learning tests.
- Will work closely with engineering, product management, cross-department partner teams within an Agile environment using JIRA as our backbone for collaboration.
- Be a strong voice of reason exercising clear judgment making data-informed decisions in order to improve and maintain the utmost quality within our products.
- Daily “bug hunting” – always on the lookout for defects, usability improvements, cosmetic “eye sores”, etc. and properly track them for resolution.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience.
- 5+ years of working as a SDET/SDE, with 3+ years in a leading role and/or independent contributor.
- Minimum 3-year experience with automation tools such as Appium, Expresso Selenium, Selendroid (or similar for Android app test automation).
- Minimum 3-year experience with IntelliJ, TestNG, and Jenkins.
- Must have built an automation framework from scratch.
- Experience programming with Java, Python, shell and/or C++.
- Experience interacting with RESTful API and skilled in Rest Assured, Postman (or similar)
- Experience with System Design.
- Experience working with MongoDB and MySQL.
- Solid understanding of GIT.
- Strong analytical skills, self-motivation, attention to detail and leadership ability.
- Must be able to work within our NYC office in a hybrid environment..
- Experience automating tests for android applications, Web Applications & Services.
- Experience in establishing and maintaining full CI/CD pipelines.
- Experience with Gitlab.
- Knowledge of basic software engineering practices surrounding coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build process, and test.
- Experience with AI and ML test principles and strategies.
- Exposure to GCP and microservices.
- Familiar with JIRA and TestRail.
- Highly effective communication, both oral and written.
Instacart provides highly market-competitive compensation and benefits in each location where our employees work. This role is remote and the base pay range for a successful candidate is dependent on their permanent work location. Please review our Flex First remote work policy here.
Offers may vary based on many factors, such as candidate experience and skills required for the role. Additionally, this role is eligible for a new hire equity grant as well as annual refresh grants. Please read more about our benefits offerings here.
For US based candidates, the base pay ranges for a successful candidate are listed below.