Staff Software Engineer (Backend/DevOps)
Posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2022
Papa is a new kind of care, built on human connection. Across the country, health plans and employers look to Papa to provide vital social support by pairing older adults and families with Papa Pals, trained and vetted companions, who provide a helping hand and an open ear, resulting in less loneliness and better health.
Founded in 2017 and headquartered in Miami, Papa is backed by Canaan, Tiger Global Management, Comcast Ventures, SoftBank Vision Fund 2, TCG, Initialized Capital, and Seven Seven Six, among other revered institutional and individual investors. We envision a world where no one has to go it alone. Learn more at Papa.com.
Papa is an equal opportunity employer. We proudly support the ParityPledge® for gender and racial parity at the highest levels of business.
About the Role:
Papa is seeking staff backend engineers to join our engineering team. We are a remote first workplace with employees primarily based in the US. You'll join a fast-paced team that has the personal freedom and safety to execute with the directive: "Do what's best for the company". You will play a central role in scaling our backend services to handle hundreds of thousands of Papa visits daily, mobile applications, and internal admin tools. All speaking to our Elixir GraphQL API. We are data-driven and use metrics and logs to determine the impact and what parts need to scale first. Excellent communication skills are required because we are all fully-remote. Papa's mission is to support families through the aging journey. Belief in this ties our teams together.
Essential Job Functions:
- We’re looking for engineers with experience building scalable and resilient critical path platform services. You should be customer-focused, data-driven, and passionate about collaborating with your teammates and peers. Your responsibilities include:
- Building products and experiences for our Papa Pals and Members
- Being a senior technical leader and critical hire on the team and will help others around you grow as developers and be successful
- Taking the lead on directing and implementing solutions to complex, unscoped problems
- Collaborating with our cross-functional teams and business partners throughout the technical organization
- Developing and maintaining critical path product services
- Finding opportunities to improve our architecture, operability or capabilities
- Using data to validate your hypotheses and inform your decision making
- 10+ years of experience building web technologies and working on large scale, high performance and fault tolerant systems
- A lack of ego, driven by group outcome, not the individual outcome.
- Committed to supporting a diverse, inclusive, and collaborative work environment.
- Exposure or experience writing Elixir or other functional programming languages
- Thrive when faced with customer and product-focused challenges
- You have a “leave it better than you found it” mentality, and are willing to work with and improve on code you did not originally write.
- Love to experiment and use data to drive decision-making.
- Code quality is deeply important to you, and you can provide leadership in improving the quality of existing codebases
- Have a knack for organization and breaking down large problems into smaller ones
- You’re opinionated about what, and how, to build systems but empathetic to your colleagues
- You’ve mentored engineers at a variety of levels throughout their career
- You are a mindful, transparent and thoughtful communicator
Location: Remote or Miami FL
Papa’s culture is People-first. While we have an incredible team of hard working Papa people, at the end of the day, our company is really about family and community – and we celebrate that among our employees. We encourage everyone to truly bring their whole authentic selves to work. To be transparent. To be non-hierarchical. And, above all, to be a really good person.
We see ourselves as a place where every Papa employee feels they belong, a place where careers flourish, a place that brings back purpose and joy to work, a culture where visionaries/entrepreneurs are developed.
Papa’s mission is at the core of our total rewards philosophy wherein we attract and retain high potential talent aligned with our journey. We offer gender neutral and inclusive parental leave policies that offer up to 16 weeks of 100% paid parental leave. We immensely value the benefits of a flexible workplace, while designing remote-first principles we ensured that Papa people feel psychologically safe about their career interests while being remote.
Beyond benefits: We want to take care of the whole employee and their families. To stay true to this commitment, we offer family care leave in addition to a generous paid time off policy, 401(k) match up to 4%; family forming support through access to Carrot; emotional health support tools through our medical plans such as Ginger, Happify ; access to women’s leadership network CHIEF to our senior women leaders and a host of events through a monthly culture calendar that enable emotional connectedness in a remote work environment.
See more open positions at Papa
Something looks off?