Staff Backend Software Engineer - Video
Reddit users submit, vote, and comment on content, stories, and discussions about the topics they care about the most. From pets to parenting, there’s a community for everybody on Reddit and with over 50 million daily active users, it is home to the most open and authentic conversations on the internet. For more information, visit redditinc.com.
Reddit serves over 8 billion images per day. The Foundation team is part of the Consumer pillar at Reddit, focusing on developing and supporting all media consumed by Reddit users. This includes how we process and serve all rich content: videos, gifs, and streaming content. Our goal is to build a scalable, reliable and powerful Media ecosystem in-house and to make substantial improvements to Media playback systems across consumer surface areas. Our team is also responsible for the encoding and delivery of premium content to millions of users every day.
This is a high impact role where you will drive related technical & product strategy, operations, architecture, and execution for one of the largest sites in the world.
What You’ll Do:
- Work cross-functionally with product, design, and other engineering counterparts to execute on product and business strategies and build novel products and features.
- Contribute to the full development cycle: technical design, development, test, experimentation, analysis, and launch
- Work with other engineers to build scalable platforms for supporting Video management and publishing systems
- Be responsible for doing minimal video quality checks, building, deploying, and managing video encoding applications to the cloud (AWS/GCP)
- Be responsible for supporting the video delivery and architecture of VOD and Live content
- Mentor junior engineers on the team to grow their technical expertise.
What We Expect from You:
- 8-10+ years of software development experience in one or more general-purpose programming languages; Go, Python, Rust.
- [Required] Hands-on professional experience using Golang
- 2+ years as a Staff Engineer or Technical Lead working on consumer-facing products at scale
- 1+ years working with video protocols such as RTP, RTMP, HLS, HDS, Smooth Streaming
- 1+ years working with modern video codecs like H264, VP8, VP9, AV1
- Experienced with GraphQL, REST, HTTP, Thrift or gRPC basics, and the ability to design and implement maintainable APIs.
- Experience driving cross-functional partnerships in a fully remote environment and the ability to discuss complex topics with technical and non-technical audiences.
- Entrepreneurial spirit. You are self-directed, innovative, and biased towards action in fast-paced environments. You love to build new things and thrive in ambiguity and even failure.
- BS degree in Computer Science, a similar technical field of study or equivalent practical experience.
Something looks off?