Principal Mobile Engineer, Core Experience
This role can be remote within the United States or Canada, or can be a hybrid model if near an office. Offices are located in San Francisco, Los Angeles, Chicago, New York City, and Toronto.
"The front page of the internet,” Reddit brings over 500 million people each month through their common interests, inviting them to share, vote, comment, and create across thousands of communities.
The Core Experience teams are responsible for all the content that shows up on Reddit and enables users to express their true selves through varied content types like posts, comments, video threads, profiles, and much more. Our mission lies at the core of Reddit's success as a platform: we build features that encourage engagement and belonging, enabling better user experiences with rich content and video, enabling smooth and effective content consumption with ML and personalized experiences. This role will enable us to architect our native apps to scale for the next 3-4 years of our growth. You will help establish the right standards in native app development and will help in improving the overall iOS and Android development experience at Reddit. In addition, you will mentor senior IOS and Android engineers across Reddit and will be seen as a go-to person for any challenges on the native app.
As a Principal Mobile Engineer in the Core Experience team, you will be responsible for creating and driving the technical strategy for the user experience of Reddit users. You will have the company-wide scope, impact, and responsibility in shaping the future of native development at Reddit. You will champion the technology selection and best practices in Reddit’s app development. You will lead the way in bringing technical excellence and innovation to Reddit’s native app codebase.
What You’ll Do:
- Work cross-functionally, collaborate and partner with product, design, and other engineering counterparts to execute on product and business strategy and build novel products and features that our users will love.
- Contribute to the full development cycle: technical design, development, test, experimentation, analysis, and launch. You’ll be reviewing code and design docs, giving feedback on product specs and mocks.
- Use you interpersonal skills to lead a team of thoughtful, fast-moving, enthusiastic, and motivated engineers. Set and define standards that improve developer workflows, recommend best practices, and help coach and mentor engineers on the team to further their professional development.
- Continuously learn and improve your technical and non-technical abilities.
Who You Might Be:
- Ideally, the right candidate will have had demonstrated organizational-wide impacting experience building both iOS and Android consumer facing applications at scale, but we are good if the person is leaning more to iOS or Android.
- Software development experience in one or more general-purpose programming languages; Java, Python, Go, Rust, C++.
- Additional knowledge around GraphQL, REST, HTTP basics, and the ability to design maintainable APIs is a plus.
- Strong organizational skills, the ability to prioritize tasks and keep projects on schedule.
- BS degree in Computer Science, a similar technical field of study or equivalent practical experience.
- Entrepreneurial spirit. You are self-directed, innovative, you build trust, and biased towards action in fast-paced environments.
- You love to build new things and thrive in ambiguity and even failure. You care about innovation.
- Excellent communication skills. You collaborate effectively with teams in a fully remote environment and discuss complex topics with technical and non-technical audiences with senior leadership.
- Comprehensive Health benefits
- 401k Matching
- Workspace benefits for your home office
- Personal & Professional development funds
- Family Planning Support
- Flexible Vacation & Reddit Global Days Off
- 4+ months paid Parental Leave
- Paid Volunteer time off
This job posting may span more than one career level.
In addition to base salary, this job is eligible to receive equity in the form of restricted stock units, and depending on the position offered, it may also be eligible to receive a commission. Additionally, Reddit offers a wide range of benefits to U.S.-based employees, including medical, dental, and vision insurance, 401(k) program with employer match, generous time off for vacation, and parental leave. To learn more, please visit https://www.redditinc.com/careers/.
To provide greater transparency to candidates, we share base pay ranges for all US-based job postings regardless of state. We set standard base pay ranges for all roles based on function, level, and country location, benchmarked against similar stage growth companies. Final offer amounts are determined by multiple factors including, skills, depth of work experience and relevant licenses/credentials, and may vary from the amounts listed below.