Engineering Manager, Subreddit Experience
This role can be remote within the United States or Canada, or can be a hybrid model if near an office. Offices are located in San Francisco, Los Angeles, Chicago, New York City, and Toronto.
The Subreddit Experience team sits within Reddit Community Engineering and works to enhance the experience of using, discovering, building, and growing communities. As an Engineering Manager you will be responsible for leading your team to deliver high quality software that enables the best possible experiences for our users as you help communities on Reddit evolve and grow. This is a high impact role where you will be involved in technical & product strategy, operations, architecture, and execution for one of the largest sites in the world.
How You’ll have an Impact:
You will partner with a multitude of stakeholders to understand Reddit’s community ecosystem and will guide the design and development of experiences that let users get the most out of Subreddits. You will drive a culture of technical excellence ensuring the right bets are taken with the highest quality. You will be accountable for leading and mentoring a world-class team of engineers to help Reddit reach its goal of bringing community and belonging to everyone. The Engineering Manager should be passionate about an environment where technology is the key value driver for the business while partnering closely with diverse stakeholders. The right individual will be experienced in leading technology teams and creating and delivering a great experience across a broad user base.
This individual will be a key driver in the planning, development, and implementation of Reddit’s composite service architecture, and technology stack on the various platforms including desktop, mobile, and native applications (iOS and Android).
What you’ll do
- Build, hire and lead a high-caliber team of product engineers and mobile developers.
- Work cross-functionally with product, design, and other engineering managers to plan product and business strategy, and to build novel products and features that our half-billion users will love.
- Participate in the full development cycle: design, development, test, experimentation, analysis, and launch. You’ll be reviewing code and design docs, giving feedback on product specs and mocks, and generally helping out wherever is needed.
- Coach and mentor engineers on the team to further their professional development.
- Set and enable a culture of metrics led execution, with efficient processes and strong levels of transparency.
What we’re looking for
- 2+ years building and managing high performing engineering teams.
- 4+ years of experience as a software engineer developing user-facing applications
- Fluency with dealing with product analytics, forecasting and exposure to tools like GA, BigQuery etc.
- Software development experience in one or more general purpose programming languages; Python, Go, Rust, Java, C++
- Strong organizational skills, the ability to prioritize tasks and keep projects on schedule.
- BS degree in Computer Science, similar technical field of study or equivalent practical experience.
- Strong focus on user experience and usability. You are an undying advocate for the user, and you have a deep intuition for how people think and how they interact with software. Experience with social or e-commerce is a huge plus.
- Entrepreneurial spirit. You must be self-directed, innovative, and biased towards action. You live to build new things and thrive in ambiguity.
- Excellent communication skills. You must be able to collaborate with teams in a fully remote environment, and discuss complex topics with technical and non-technical audiences.
- Comprehensive Healthcare Benefits
- 401k Matching
- Workspace benefits for your home office
- Personal & Professional development funds
- Family Planning Support
- Flexible Vacation (please use them!) & Reddit Global Wellness Days
- 4+ months paid Parental Leave
- Paid Volunteer time off
This job posting may span more than one career level.
In addition to base salary, this job is eligible to receive equity in the form of restricted stock units, and depending on the position offered, it may also be eligible to receive a commission. Additionally, Reddit offers a wide range of benefits to U.S.-based employees, including medical, dental, and vision insurance, 401(k) program with employer match, generous time off for vacation, and parental leave. To learn more, please visit https://www.redditinc.com/careers/.
To provide greater transparency to candidates, we share base pay ranges for all US-based job postings regardless of state. We set standard base pay ranges for all roles based on function, level, and country location, benchmarked against similar stage growth companies. Final offer amounts are determined by multiple factors including, skills, depth of work experience and relevant licenses/credentials, and may vary from the amounts listed below.