Engineering Manager, Developer Platform
Reddit has an amazing history of individual and community-driven innovation. With no official support, thousands of user scripts, self-identified bots and services run against our API and enrich the experience Redditors have on our platform. Furthermore, the value of Reddit data has powered the creation and growth of numerous businesses. The goal of the Reddit Developer Platform team is to further empower communities to innovate while establishing a significant new business centered on our Data API.
This role can be remote within the United States or Canada, or can be a hybrid model if near an office. Offices are located in San Francisco, Los Angeles, Chicago, New York City, and Toronto.
We are looking for an experienced Engineering Manager with a strong technical background to lead reliability for our Data API. You will play a pivotal role in not only evolving the existing Data API, but also spearheading initiatives to monetize API products effectively. This is a unique opportunity to join a key pillar of one of the most important consumer products on the Internet.
What You'll Be Doing
- Building data and streaming data products for a variety of external enterprise customers, who are looking for realtime access to Reddit's content and usage
- Evolving Reddit's public API and capabilities towards a cleaner, more elegant Developer Experience.
- Making a platform that is highly available, low on latency, and at internet scale.
- Laying the technical foundation for future features and experiences, such as enterprise search over Reddit data.
What We Expect From You:
- 8+ years of industry experience, preferably building, maintaining, and managing platforms and infrastructure
- 2+ years of experience managing engineering teams
- 2+ years of experience in a consumer internet, data, or streaming platform at high-scale.
- 2+ years of experience using Kafka, Flink, or similar streaming data infrastructure.
- Strong experience in architecting and delivering scalable solutions using cloud providers such as AWS, GCP, Azure and likely Kubernetes
- Solid understanding of DevOps principles, CI/CD pipelines, and infrastructure automation
- You're highly technical, enough to solve many problems your team has yourself, but you prefer to guide your team into solving them.
- You're high-agency, self-directed, detail-oriented, and reliable.
- Build and manage a team of 7-8 engineers, hiring top-notch individual contributors and giving them room to shine.
- Build and execute a technical roadmap of systems improvements
- Be the owner and steward of reliability for Reddit's Data API product suite.
- Be the cross-functional face of your team to stakeholders across Product, BD, and more.
- Experience in influencing larger organizations on technical direction/best practices.
- Deep technical contributions to open source or published projects
- Comprehensive Health benefits
- Retirement Savings plan with matching contributions
- Workspace benefits for your home office
- Personal & Professional development funds
- Family Planning Support
- Flexible Vacation & Reddit Global Days Off