Software Engineer, Privacy and Security
Reddit is a community of communities where people can dive into anything through experiences built around their interests, hobbies, and passions. Our mission is to bring community, belonging, and empowerment to everyone in the world. Reddit users submit, vote, and comment on content, stories, and discussions about the topics they care about the most. From pets to parenting, with over 100,000 active communities and over 70 million daily active users, it is home to the most open and authentic conversations on the internet. For more information, visit redditinc.com.
What You'll Do:
Privacy is part of the Reddit DNA and we are dedicated to ensuring that our platforms, services, and products are built with privacy as a core principle. We hold the privacy of our users as fundamental to our mission at Reddit and this role will support the evolution of our Ads Privacy practices with a focus on practical and data-driven decisions that enable us to support our business. As a Backend Engineer you will support the development of privacy products. Here is a some of what this role will entail:
- Design, build, and implement privacy software products
- Design, build and ship backend services powering privacy experiences for millions of daily users.
- Translate privacy rules and policies into robust, scalable, reusable solutions that protect user privacy while enabling safe, transparent use of data
- Deep dive and become an expert in a complex and heterogeneous codebase and cloud infrastructure to find and harden all data stores and microservices that process personal data
- Knowledge of large scale cloud analytics and storage technologies and SDLC best practices
- Comfortable in navigating unfamiliar tech stacks and working with new languages and technologies
What We Can Expect From You:
Bring your background and passion for engineering and privacy into this role which will support our privacy focused programs. Successful candidates will have many of the following skills and qualities:
- 3-5 years of hands-on experience building clean, maintainable, and well-tested code.
- Deep knowledge of large scale cloud analytics and storage technologies and SDLC best practices
- Comfortable navigating unfamiliar tech stacks and working with new languages and technologies
- Proven verbal and written communication skills for technical and non technical audiences
- Experience in privacy enhancing technologies, security protocols, cryptography is desirable.
- Experience with data privacy requirements stemming from regulatory and legislative mandates including CCPA, GDPR, and state data breach notification laws is desirable but not mandatory.
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to learn and research new technologies and standards rapidly, assess them for security and privacy exposures, and drive changes via code
- Excellent analytical, problem solving, technical writing, verbal communication, and interpersonal skills
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to interact with teams, be a thought leader and drive innovation
- Humble expert with a sense of urgency
- Skilled at taking complex topics and making them simple
- The ability to exhibit sound judgment and domain knowledge for multiple areas of expertise within the specialized discipline.
- Work independently and own projects entirely, both within the department as well as cross-functionally
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to prioritize and work to tight deadlines and manage your own backlog.
This job posting may span more than one career level.
In addition to base salary, this job is eligible to receive equity in the form of restricted stock units, and depending on the position offered, it may also be eligible to receive a commission. Additionally, Reddit offers a wide range of benefits to U.S.-based employees, including medical, dental, and vision insurance, 401(k) program with employer match, generous time off for vacation, and parental leave. To learn more, please visit https://www.redditinc.com/careers/.
To provide greater transparency to candidates, we share base pay ranges for all US-based job postings regardless of state. We set standard base pay ranges for all roles based on function, level, and country location, benchmarked against similar stage growth companies. Final offer amounts are determined by multiple factors including, skills, depth of work experience and relevant licenses/credentials, and may vary from the amounts listed below.
Reddit is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please contact us at ApplicationAssistance@Reddit.com.