Sr Staff Engineer - Platform
San Francisco, CA, USA
Posted on Friday, February 17, 2023
Rippling is the first way for businesses to manage all of their HR & IT—payroll, benefits, computers, apps, and more—in one unified workforce platform.
By connecting every business system to one source of truth for employee data, businesses can automate all of the manual work they normally need to do to make employee changes. Take onboarding, for example. With Rippling, you can just click a button and set up a new employees’ payroll, health insurance, work computer, and third-party apps—like Slack, Zoom, and Office 365—all within 90 seconds.
Based in San Francisco, CA, Rippling has raised $1.2B from the world’s top investors—including Kleiner Perkins, Founders Fund, Sequoia, Bedrock, and Greenoaks—and was named one of America’s best startup employers by Forbes (#12 out of 500).
About the Role
Platform engineering is foundational to the success of Rippling as a company. Rippling’s success comes from the strength of its platform engineering org and its ability to provide a layer of abstractions for every product team to build quickly and scale effortlessly. Providing a strong platform layer enables Rippling to build as a startup of startups.
This engineering role will be responsible for building the foundational software that powers the Rippling platform. As a Sr Staff Engineer, you will be responsible for leading large scale cross-org projects that touch many parts of the stack and have implications both on the long term of the engineering org as well as the business. You will also be responsible for not just implementing, but also inventing foundational platform components that are necessary for the long term scalability of the system. Finally, you will be responsible for jumping into many different areas of the engineering team to diagnose systematic engineering and people problems and drive to solutions that ensure long term success of the team and projects. There are challenges for the team that range from building for usability to scaling for massive scale and wide array of engineering requirements.
What you will do
- Develop high quality software with attention to detail
- Ship incrementally and continually at high velocity
- Jump into different and new codebases and diagnose issues and problems quickly
- Build for systems that scale for a large variety of use cases
- Tackle large scaling challenges that involve scaling our capabilities to support 100,000+ employee companies
- Work highly cross functionally with engineering leaders across the engineering org
- Become the in-house expert on Rippling customers and competition
- 10+ years of software engineering experience, with 5+ years in technical lead or architect roles
- Experience building large-scale distributed systems, such as high-volume SaaS environments
- Preferred experience in building out large scale product infrastructures/platforms
- Preferred experience in our technology stack- Python, Django, Golang, React, MongoDB, Presto, Pinot, Kafka, AWS
- Ability to thrive in an ambiguous environment by identifying areas of impact and independently pursuing them
- A track record of influencing and enabling forward-thinking technology decisions across a wide organization
- Excellent ability to communicate complex technical ideas with clarity and precision in written and verbal modes
This role will receive a competitive salary + benefits + equity. The salary for US-based employees will be aligned with one of the ranges below based on location; see which tier applies to your location here.
Tier 1: $240,000 - $336,000/year
Tier 2: $240,000 - $336,000/year
Tier 3: $240,000 - $336,000/year
A variety of factors are considered when determining someone’s compensation–including a candidate’s professional background, experience, and location. Final offer amounts may vary from the amounts listed above based on these considerations.
Rippling highly values having employees working in-office to foster a collaborative work environment and company culture. For office-based employees (employees who live within a 40 mile radius of a Rippling office), Rippling considers working in the office, at least three days a week under current policy, to be an essential function of the employee's role.
See more open positions at Rippling
Something looks off?