Staff Backend Engineer (Java)
Zepz is the group powering two leading global remittance brands: WorldRemit and Sendwave. Since 2010, we have been disrupting an industry previously dominated by offline legacy players with our relentless focus to reduce the cost of remittances and increase safety and convenience for our users. Every day, our people work to unlock the prosperity of cross-border communities through finance and technology - driven by our vision of a world that celebrates migrants’ impact on prosperity, at home and abroad.
Our brands helped cross-border communities send over $15bn from 50 countries to recipients in 130 countries in 2022. We operate over 5,000 money transfer corridors worldwide and employ over 1,400 people globally. Zepz is a remote-first employer, with team members located across six continents.
Our vision is to create a world that celebrates migrants’ impact on prosperity, at home and abroad. Our purpose is to unlock the prosperity of cross-border communities through finance and technology.
- We act like owners - We are relentlessly delivering for our users and spending money thoughtfully.
- We embrace embarrassing honesty - We function best when we're open and honest with one another — especially about our challenges and doubts.
- We have a bias to action - We get to first outcomes quickly, iterate and learn.
- We strive to be better - We may make mistakes, but always learn from them.
- We are inclusive - to better reflect and serve our users.
How you’ll help us achieve it:
We believe strongly in building teams that can orient around a well-defined mission and are equipped to execute autonomously against that mission. We count on you to collaborate with your team to build and support our platform and products used by customers sending money transfers from 50+ countries into 150+ markets worldwide. We are looking for engineers who have experience in one or more technologies/programming languages and the desire to learn new ones on the job.
Our tech stack:
Our tech stack is varied at the moment. Embarrassing honesty - We are in the process of migrating some of our products off legacy stacks.
- Backend services: Java(SpringBoot and SpringCloud), Kotlin, Python.
- Web Front Ends: React (Typescript)
- Mobile apps: We have both React Native and Native mobile apps for our different brands (native apps: iOS-SwiftUI, Android-Kotlin)
- Public Cloud: AWS and GCP
- CI/CD tooling: CircleCI, ArgoCD, Jenkins, AzDO
- Container orchestration: Kubernetes
- IaC: Terraform
- API Gateway and Service Mesh Architecture
- Databases: SQL, PostgreSQL, NoSQL
What you will own:
- Write great code: We understand code is read more than it’s written, better off tested and maintainability is a must.
- Help shape what we build: You’ll be working closely with product owners, designers and other engineers to design and refine our work. We work as a team and your input is key.
- Influence technology evolution: We are designing new platforms with long-term goals in mind and are also happy to improve with new technology capabilities
- Own delivery: We’re obsessed with shipping value; you’ll own work beyond a pull request. You’ll care about bugs, scalability, uptime and other non-functional requirements.
- Grow together: You’ll review others' work and happily seek feedback on yours to ensure we build a better codebase and sharpen each other's skills.
- Share your knowledge and points of view: We promote knowledge sharing across our teams and count on you to become an active member of one. Experiment with new tools, present your findings, shape our future standards.
- Scope and Impact: You look to nurture and build functional and collaborative relationships both within and outside of your stream and Tech. You contribute meaningfully to company goals. You lead or influence a team(s); you proactively and autonomously solve previously unidentified ambiguous problems across the business.
What you bring to the table:
- Solid experience with system design and architecture
- Strong experience in building backend services/APIs.
- We are in the process of breaking down a monolith application into smaller services and self-contained data models. Therefore, experience working with microservices as well as monolith applications will come in handy. And if you have worked on a successful migration, even better.
- We expect you to be quality-minded and have expertise in unit and integration testing. How else can you develop maintainable products?
- You are a system design enthusiast and will have solid experience designing and transforming existing systems collaboratively to make them scalable, maintainable and reliable.
- You have a true DevOps mindset and can support your team toward becoming true owners of their product/platform.
- A strong understanding of cloud infrastructure is a must for this role.
- You work well with Engineering and Product members and are comfortable building effective relationships with stakeholders outside of technology.
- An open mind with respect to diversity and inclusivity. Our team (and customers) come from all over the world.
Bonus Points if you:
- Have worked at a scaling startup previously.
- Have experience in successfully transitioning a monolith platform into domain-driven services.
What we offer you:
Please note that the benefits below will apply to Full-time roles.
We have five core benefits for our talent in the US, UK, Philippines, Poland, and South Africa. If you're not in one of those regions, don’t worry - the Talent team can let you know what is available for you specifically:
Unlimited Annual Leave: Most Zepz team members are eligible for unlimited annual leave. Colleagues in customer-facing roles, receive a competitive holiday allowance and four recharge days a year. Feel free to make the most of your time off and maintain a healthy work-life balance!
Private Medical Cover: You can opt-in to a Private Medical Insurance scheme. This provides you with access to thorough medical coverage, so you can feel confident in your health and well-being.
Retirement: We offer pension schemes to help you plan for and secure your future.
Life Assurance: Life assurance is available to give you peace of mind and protect your loved ones in case of the unexpected..
Parental Leave: We offer competitive parental leave schemes to ensure you are spending as much quality time with your new bundle of joy as possible.
We are also remote-first as an organisation, offering flexibility for you to work where you need to be most productive. In many locations, we have workspaces, which you can use as you desire.
Most roles in the Philippines are predominately office-based, with this we offer free meals for those 100% on-site.
In addition to the above, you will discover that we have a range of secondary perks (such as the cycle-to-work scheme and employee discounts) depending on your location, to help you thrive at Zepz!
Why choose Zepz?
Our team of over 1400 employees is fully distributed across the world. We are working from coffee shops, homes, and co-working spaces — making us one of the larger fully distributed growth-stage startups in the world but we also offer workspace in our talent cluster locations - spaces we can meet, collaborate and connect.
We are proud parents, community organizers, farmers, band members, yoga teachers, YouTube influencers, former Olympians, and serial entrepreneurs.
We collectively speak over twenty languages, including Akuapem, Amharic, Bengali, Ewe, Fante, Ga, Igbo, Kalenjin, Luganda, Oromo, Somali, Swahili, Wolof, Bulgarian, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Estonian, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hungarian, Irish, Italian, Latvian, Lithuanian, Maltese, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Slovak, Slovenian, Spanish and Swedish.
At Zepz, embodying our commitments binds us together. We are collectively passionate about striving to achieve our vision and purpose - to continue to provide the best service to our users.
Ready to apply?
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. If interested, please submit your resume along with a cover letter (optional), highlighting why your experience demonstrates you meet the requirements of the role. Please also indicate the countries in which you have work authorization. While Zepz supports visa sponsorship, sponsorship opportunities may be limited to certain roles and skills.
At Zepz we record interviews using Metaview (https://metaview.ai). It helps us become better interviewers by recording and transcribing our interviews, and ensures we interview candidates in a fair & consistent manner. It is not required. Please let us know if you’d like to opt out of the use of Metaview - this will not affect the outcome of your interview.
Confidence can sometimes hold us back from applying for a job. But we'll let you in on a secret: there's no such thing as a 'perfect' candidate. Zepz is a place where everyone can thrive.
So however you identify and whatever background you bring with you, and if at all you might need any form of support to make the process as comfortable as possible, please let us know and give us a shot by applying. We want you to be excited to wake up to make an impact every day.