Senior Data Scientist - Fraud
Zepz is the group powering two leading global remittance brands: WorldRemit and Sendwave. Since 2010, we have been disrupting an industry previously dominated by offline legacy players with our relentless focus on reducing the cost of remittances and increasing safety and convenience for our users. Every day, our people work to unlock the prosperity of cross-border communities through finance and technology - driven by our vision of a world that celebrates migrants’ impact on prosperity, at home and abroad.
Our brands helped cross-border communities send over $15bn from 50 countries to recipients in 130 countries in 2022. We operate over 5,000 money transfer corridors worldwide and employ over 1,000 people globally. Zepz is a remote-first employer, with team members located across six continents.
Our vision is to create a world that celebrates migrants’ impact on prosperity, at home and abroad. Our purpose is to unlock the prosperity of cross-border communities through finance and technology.
- We act like owners - We are relentlessly delivering for our users and spending money thoughtfully.
- We embrace embarrassing honesty - We function best when we're open and honest with one another — especially about our challenges and doubts.
- We have a bias to action - We get to first outcomes quickly, iterate and learn.
- We strive to be better - We may make mistakes, but always learn from them.
- We are inclusive - to better reflect and serve our users.
Your key area of focus:
The main focus of this role will be within the FinCrime teams, focusing on innovative ways to detect bad actors while enhancing the overall user experience. As the role develops there will be other areas of the business that will also need support ie. risk and credit rating
You will champion the data science space, looking for where there are the greatest opportunities to deploy models/algorithms and find the ‘low hanging fruit’.
What you will own:
- Own our existing fraud detection models
- Evaluate and integrate new data sources for our algorithms, aligning with Data Engineering and Analytical Engineers' best practices for dbt
- Automate the training and deployment of updated models, ensuring the output is tested, automated, scalable and documented and checks are in place to identify drift.
- Help build experiments to evaluate new models, third-party data sources and tooling.
- Translate commercial requirements into technical solutions, converting real-world problems into solvable data science projects, resulting in insights that further the strategy and enable visibility into key results
- Improving existing models through greater scrutiny of the methodology and improving the input data
- Develop strategies and tools to help less technical individuals understand and use the models and results.
Who you are:
- You are a problem solver who can identify opportunities for data-driven solutions and prioritize against commercial impact
- You are motivated to deeply understand user behaviour and deliver actionable recommendations to teams alongside a strong technical data solution.
- You can confidently discuss complex business and technical topics with a range of stakeholders and present findings
What you bring to the table:
- 4+ years of professional experience training and deploying models that deliver measurable value (regression, clustering, decision trees, cost-sensitive Machine Learning etc with an emphasis on gradient boosting-based methods).
- You have strong SQL skills, confidently able to pull and manipulate data to get into the desired format for modelling (CTEs, joins, case statements, subqueries)
- Possess strong Python skills, able to automate processes and deploy applications. you are able to deploy your stuff and be able to set up at least basic monitoring.
- Familiar with building and deploying web applications using Python web frameworks.
- Experience in one or more of the following areas:
- Machine Learning (Scikit Learn, XGBoost, H2O etc...)
- SQL Analytics (BigQuery, Redshift, Databricks, Athena, etc)
- Visualisation Tools (matlibplot, seaborn, streamlit Looker, Tableau, Periscope, etc)
Bonus points if you
- You have experience with graph databases
- Have experience working with cloud-based services, especially AWS(e.g. Sagemaker, ECS, EMR)
- Have experience with experimentation design and evaluation
- Demonstrate tenacity and a willingness to go the distance to get something done. You don't mind doing things manually but automate at every opportunity.
- Are inquisitive, intellectually curious and can make sense of complex systems or information.
- Can work in a structured approach towards goals and pay attention to detail.
- Can easily communicate with non-technical folks and translate their feedback into code.
- Are comfortable defaulting to over-communication and overreaching when it comes to coordination
- Adjust quickly to changing priorities and conditions and cope effectively with complexity and change.
- Team Composition: The FinCrime Team is a combination of Data Scientists, Machine Learning Engineers and Backend Engineers
- Location: Our company is remote first. You can be based anywhere in Africa, Europe, or the Americas
- Length of position: Permanent.
What we offer you:
Please note that the benefits below will apply to Full-time roles.
We have five core benefits for our talent in the US, UK, Philippines, Poland, and South Africa. If you're not in one of those regions, don’t worry - the Talent team can let you know what is available for you specifically:
Unlimited Annual Leave: Most Zepz team members are eligible for unlimited annual leave. Colleagues in customer-facing roles, receive a competitive holiday allowance and four recharge days a year. Feel free to make the most of your time off and maintain a healthy work-life balance!
Private Medical Cover: You can opt-in to a Private Medical Insurance scheme. This provides you with access to thorough medical coverage, so you can feel confident in your health and well-being.
Retirement: We offer pension schemes to help you plan for and secure your future.
Life Assurance: Life assurance is available to give you peace of mind and protect your loved ones in case of the unexpected.
Parental Leave: We offer competitive parental leave schemes to ensure you are spending as much quality time with your new bundle of joy as possible.
We are also remote-first as an organisation, offering flexibility for you to work where you need to be most productive. In many locations, we have workspaces, which you can use as you desire. Most roles in the Philippines are predominately office-based, with this we offer free meals for those 100% on-site.
In addition to the above, you will discover that we have a range of secondary perks (such as the cycle-to-work scheme and employee discounts) depending on your location, to help you thrive at Zepz!
Why choose Zepz?
Our team of over 1,000 employees is fully distributed across the world. We are working from coffee shops, homes, and co-working spaces — making us one of the larger fully distributed growth-stage startups in the world but we also offer workspace in our talent cluster locations - spaces we can meet, collaborate and connect.
We are proud parents, community organizers, farmers, band members, yoga teachers, YouTube influencers, former Olympians, and serial entrepreneurs.
We collectively speak over twenty languages, including Akuapem, Amharic, Bengali, Ewe, Fante, Ga, Igbo, Kalenjin, Luganda, Oromo, Somali, Swahili, Wolof, Bulgarian, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Estonian, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hungarian, Irish, Italian, Latvian, Lithuanian, Maltese, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Slovak, Slovenian, Spanish and Swedish.
At Zepz, embodying our commitments binds us together. We are collectively passionate about striving to achieve our vision and purpose - to continue to provide the best service to our users.
Ready to Apply?
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. If interested, please submit your resume along with a cover letter (optional), highlighting why your experience demonstrates you meet the requirements of the role. Please also indicate the countries in which you have work authorization. While Zepz supports visa sponsorship, sponsorship opportunities may be limited to certain roles and skills.
At Zepz we record interviews using Metaview (https://metaview.ai). It helps us become better interviewers by recording and transcribing our interviews, and ensures we interview candidates in a fair & consistent manner. It is not required. Please let us know if you’d like to opt out of the use of Metaview - this will not affect the outcome of your interview.
Confidence can sometimes hold us back from applying for a job. But we'll let you in on a secret: there's no such thing as a 'perfect' candidate. Zepz is a place where everyone can thrive.
So however you identify and whatever background you bring with you, and if at all you might need any form of support to make the process as comfortable as possible, please let us know and give us a shot by applying. We want you to be excited to wake up to make an impact every day.