At Shelf Engine, our mission is to reduce food waste through automation. We harness the power of AI to provide real-time, intelligent forecasting and fully automated ordering to food retailers across the United States. We’re able to drastically reduce the amount of food waste generated while simultaneously maximizing sales and expanding margins for grocers—a triple win for suppliers and retailers, consumers, and the environment.
Shelf Engine is looking for a talented Business Analyst to join our team. In this role, you will work with multiple teams across functions to develop insights from the data we collect, solve complex problems, and present findings. You will use these insights and work directly with cross-functional teams and Senior Leadership to develop strategies and to help us make informed data-driven decisions as we continue to scale our capabilities. You will become an expert in our customers’ businesses, analyzing the impact Shelf Engine can or has had on their business results.You will also analyze data and prepare reports detailing Shelf Engine's own success and present these metrics to the internal team. If you have a passion for data and sustainability, this may be your dream job.
This position is hybrid and based in Seattle, WA
As a Business Analyst at Shelf Engine, you will:
- Effectively identify and interpret trends or patterns in complex data sets and communicate meaningful trends and opportunities to the business
- Participate in regular meetings with management, helping identify opportunities for business improvement
- Provide astute and timely analytical recommendations to support customers and various organizational stakeholders.
- Act as a liaison between teams, analyzing and interpreting data to support decision-making processes
- Conduct the full lifecycle of analytics projects; including everything from framing the problem, to pulling and manipulating data, to visualizing and sharing the results in a meaningful manner
- Develop actionable roadmaps for improving workflows and business intelligence tools, and establish and organize company KPIs
- Evaluate company progress against KPIs and provide reports and recommendations relating to the same
- Coach business users to self-serve basic analytics
- Respond to user tickets on data analysis tools troubleshooting
- Partner with Account Management to ensure data quality and investigate ingestion errors, working with customers to patch as needed
- Identify opportunities to streamline processes and improve structured decision making
What we are looking for in a candidate:
- You embrace our company principles: make the first move, make better decisions, be furiously curious, commit and deliver, have empathy, invent solutions, be authentic
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in mathematics, computer science, finance, economics, or other technical field.
- 2+ years of experience
- Proficiency with SQL and data visualization tools (Tableau, Power BI, etc) preferred; Python a plus
- Ability to quickly learn, adapt and otherwise thrive in a dynamic, fast-growing start-up
- Passion for data and using it to tell compelling stories, identify opportunities and solve challenging business problems
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to collect, organize, analyze, and disseminate significant amounts of information with attention to detail and accuracy
- Independent problem-solving abilities and comfort with ambiguity; able to appropriately identify and scope unstructured issues and solve them without guidance
- Ability to glean useful insights from imperfect data in a timely manner (given the complexity of the issue)
- Interest in learning the data ingestion pipeline and acting as occasional cover for ad hoc data ingestions
- Ability to communicate clearly and appropriately to all types of business stakeholders
- Authorized to work in the U.S. for any employer
What Shelf Engine offers you:
- A unique opportunity to join a sustainability startup at a small size, making a meaningful impact on the team as well as the environment
- An inclusive work environment that emphasizes each team member’s personal and professional growth
- Competitive annual salary in the range of $75,000 - $85,000 depending on skills and experience
- Pre-IPO equity with a four-year vesting schedule
- PTO that is unlimited and self-managed for full-time employees
- 100% employer-paid premiums for medical, dental, and vision insurance for employees, and 50% covered for eligible dependents
- Coverage for life insurance, short- and long-term disability, and access to a robust Employee Assistance Program
- Optional employee contribution of pre-tax dollars to medical and dependent care FSA and/or HSA accounts
- 401k plan through Guideline to contribute to your financial future
- Seattle only: Company-paid ORCA transit card
At Shelf Engine, you will join a team of driven, passionate, and caring people hungry to make change in an untapped industry. We’re not only solving complex technical problems at scale but also tackling key initiatives with significant environmental impacts. Our team is determined to disrupt a massive industry and leave behind a positive legacy for generations to come.
Shelf Engine is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.