Senior Software Engineer - API Platform
Sift is the leading innovator in Digital Trust & Safety. Sift helps to stop fraud before it happens. Hundreds of disruptive, forward-thinking companies like Doordash, Binance, and Twitter trust Sift to deliver an outstanding customer experience while preventing fraud and abuse.
Sift is a series E company with a valuation of $1.7 billion as a unicorn. In 2021, Sift acquired Chargeback to extend the company's product portfolio. Sift was nominated as the Best Employer in 2020 in Seattle.
Sift is a big data ML-based platform that processes 70B API requests per month, processes 1PB of data, and tens of thousands of transactions per second.
Sift mission: Help everyone trust the Internet.
Our API Platform team is responsible for several core functions of Sift’s Digital Trust & Safety platform: bulk scoring and routing, up-to-the-minute reporting on business metrics, as well as key customer integration points, all of which work together to drive a seamless, accurate and fast solution for identifying and stopping fraud at scale. We combine customizable tools and powerful infrastructure to analyze and route all manner of transactions in our ongoing effort to build trust on the Internet. If you enjoy planning for scale, drawing on many engineering disciplines to solve difficult problems, and building tremendous customer value in the process, this team is for you.
Our R&D team consists of over 100 engineers and 40+ of them are based in Kyiv, Ukraine. The API Platform team has 2 engineers in Ukraine and we are looking for BE expert to join our team.
- Java 11
Other Sift Components Tech stack - Python 3, Elasticsearch, Apache Airflow, Athena, Snowflake, BigQuery, Ruby, RoR, FE: React.js
We use Scrum and 2 weeks sprints.
Opportunities for you:
- Experience: Participate in highload platform and technical challenges to improve API latency having 30K requests per second;
- Professional growth: quarterly Growth Cycles instead of performance review;
- Knowledge Sharing: we have biweekly Tech Talks sessions. You will learn how to build projects that handle petabytes of data and high fault tolerance;
- Culture for innovations: you can try your ideas on our annual Hackathon;
- Continuous learning: we have “Learning marathon” initiative where people choose some technology and dive deeper together sharing the progress on regular syncs.
What would make you a strong fit:
- 7+ years of experience building distributed backend systems using Java;
- 3+ years experience designing/delivering highly-available services;
- Degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience;
- Experience with RESTful services, API design, and web technologies;
- Experience with data pipelines;
- Strong communication & collaboration skills - a team-first.
What you’ll do:
- Build highly scalable, distributed services that can handle hundreds of millions of events per day;
- Partner with product management to help scope and shape project requirements;
- Implement engineering solutions to address complex customer needs at scale;
- Collaborate with other engineers within the API Platform team as well as across other engineering teams;
- Help evolve and improve our engineering practices.
Benefits and Perks:
- A compensation package that consists of financial compensation, a biannual 5% bonus, and stock options;
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage;
- 50$ for sports and wellness;
- Education reimbursement: books, education courses, conferences;
- Flexible time off: we follow an unlimited vacation approach;
- Tuned work schedule to Kyiv timezone despite US offices location: biweekly demo sessions are optional for our team and we watch them from recording;
- Mental Health Days: additional day-offs;
- English courses and social activities inside the company that allow improving your public speaking and language.
We follow the same process for all teams, technical interview consists of 2 parts:
- 60 min technical phone interview with the engineering manager, 1 coding task Leetcode medium level like.
- On-site interview: 4 sessions, 45 mins each, that cover coding, system design, experience, and soft skills.
During our sessions, you will have the opportunity to learn about company culture, meet engineers from your team and discuss distributed system problems. You will have time for all interesting questions and get transparency regarding your future responsibilities and the project.
Let’s Build It Together
At Sift, we are intentionally building a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace. We believe that diversity drives innovation, equity is a fundamental right, and inclusion is a basic human need. We envision a place where all Sifties feel secure sharing their authentic selves and diverse experiences with their teams, their customers, and their community – ultimately using this empowerment and authenticity to build trust and create a safer Internet.
This document provides transparency around the way in which Sift handles personal data of job applicants: https://sift.com/recruitment-privacy
Something looks off?