Software Engineer - Backend (remote)
San Francisco, CA, USA
Posted on Thursday, September 15, 2022
Help us rebuild the oldest system in the world - the agricultural supply chain.
Silo builds technologies which bring efficiency and transparency to the agricultural supply chain. Our modern ERP & Capital Solutions dramatically increase profit, improve product freshness, and reduce food waste for farmers, wholesalers, distributors, and buyers.
We are a highly motivated team of engineers, designers, business and agricultural specialists taking on the challenge of transforming a centuries old industry. We are looking for self-motivated team members who crave a challenge and feel energized to work cross functionally to realize Silo’s enormous potential.
We will work hard to make sure your decision to join us is worthwhile and rewarding. You’ll learn how a start-up operates and learn skills that will help you at any point in your career. You will be empowered to take initiative and get support to execute an idea from beginning to the end.
We don’t just want to hire people who fit into our culture; we want to hire people who will add to it. You’re helping build a team that we expect to grow fast. Your work will have a direct impact on people involved in end-to-end agricultural supply chain operations: farmers, wholesalers, retailers, and their customers.
The Silo marketplace is already live and has buyers and sellers who love the value that Silo provides them. Through optimizing the supply chain we believe Silo will help reduce the prevailing food waste problem around the world.
We face new challenges every day and view this as an opportunity to learn and be creative. We do this by being open-minded and transparent so we can help each other grow and get things right. We share thoughts on how we make decisions and welcome everyone to make improvements.
What You'll Do
As a back-end software engineer, you will be responsible for building efficient and robust server-side business logic for product features, and ensuring high performance and responsiveness to frontend requests. You will work with other back-end and frontend engineers to design effective APIs providing great user experience. Our back-end is currently written in Go and connected to a Postgres database, all deployed on AWS through Kubernetes. This role will report to an Engineering Manager.
What you'll do:
- Collaborate on software projects with product designers and frontend engineers (and even our end-users if you’d like!)
- Implement efficient and robust algorithms for product features
- Develop, release, and maintain back-end services and/or infrastructure
- Work with frontend engineers to design flexible APIs
- Manage individual project priorities, deadlines and deliverables
What makes a great candidate:
- 5+ years of experience building high availability software in a product environment
- Strong knowledge of data structures, algorithms, and software design
- Experience with Postgres, MongoDB, or other major database solutions
- Proven entrepreneurial drive through personal projects or past startup experience
- Willingness to learn and grow in a fast-paced start-up environment
- Based in North America
Bonus points for:
- Experience with REST- or GraphQL-based API design
- Familiarity with SQL query and Postgres DB performance optimization
- Intuition in good product design
Base pay range is: $140,000 - $180,000 USD
* Outside United States compensation varies
Silo is committed to offering competitive, fair, and commensurate compensation. Actual compensation will be based on multiple factors that are unique to each candidate, including but not limited to a candidate’s job-related skills, experience, education or training, and location. Please inquire for outside of the US compensation details. Salary is just one component of Silo's total compensation package for employees.
Benefits & Perks
In addition to a competitive salary, Silo offers comprehensive company sponsored health insurance, wellness and meal stipends, flexible PTO, 401(k), and a substantial paid parental leave policy. We respect a healthy work-life balance and want to make sure you get the time you need. Our flexible schedules and time-off policies mean you can tailor when you work to your needs.
How to Apply
We are committed to building a diverse team of people from a wide variety of backgrounds, and encourage anyone to apply. We are not currently offering employer visa sponsorship for this role.