Senior Data Engineer (Ruby on Rails)
We're building software to automate global trade.
Terminal49 is an Ocean Freight Visibility Platform.
Today, nine out of ten people who work in container operations still manually track shipments across carrier and terminal websites and update spreadsheets. Rinse and repeat.
We eliminate this manual data entry and provide near real-time container tracking via our Dashboard and APIs — helping them automate their workflows, save time, and reduce the cost of transportation.
Some of the worlds largest importers, shippers, logistics service providers (such as freight forwarders and customs brokers), and logistics technology companies use Terminal49 to manage millions of containers that move around the globe.
Our current product is just the first step toward automating global trade. We have raised over $8M from top-tier investors including Initialized Capital, Stage2 Capital, Grand Venture Partners, Immad Akhund, James Tamplin, Kyle Vogt, and others to help make that vision a reality.
We are just getting started!
Who You Are
You’re a Ruby on Rails Data Engineer who thinks outside the box and gets things done—a catalyst. You have experience working within many languages and contexts. Your versatility enables you to creatively solve for our customers’ pain points and enhance the technical foundation of our platform.
Engineering at Terminal49
One of our key differentiators is more reliable, complete, and readily available data than our competitors provide. Our engineering team makes this possible. We are a global team who value trust and balance.
This year we are continuing our efforts blending multiple classes of logistics data from tracking vessel movements via satellite to government import records to provide the most complete, accurate, and lowest latency data in the industry.
Your Day to Day
On a day-to-day basis, you’ll do things like:
- Define and implement QC and test coverage processes for improved data quality to build trust in millions of data points from hundreds of sources.
- Help ensure high performance across our APIs
- Improve and deliver data pipelines to serve our customers mission-critical data on time.
- Implement document recognition experience to automate tedious manual entry
There’s no universal standard for data processes within the logistics industry - we need your expertise to help us tame the chaos and deliver our vision of automating global trade.
Our Tech Stack:
Ruby on Rails (Sidekiq), Python, Ember.js, Redis, PostgreSQL, BigQuery, S3, AWS, GCP
*This is an FYI overview of some technologies and tools we use to get things done. Experience is not required unless noted below in Essentials.
You are an expert in each of the criteria below. These are must-haves. While we don’t like to filter based on arbitrary years of experience, we’re looking for someone with a proven record of delivering at the senior+ level.
- Ruby on Rails
- Highly experienced and comfortable with data-heavy migration and integration projects
- Skilled in creating consistent, thorough documentation
Essential Mindset & Collaboration
- Alignment with our core values: Terminal49 Values
- You care deeply about well-crafted products and architecture
- You can take an idea → wireframes → production ready code
- You like talking to customers and building a product that’s going to improve their business outcomes.
- You are excited to collaborate with everyone on the team—whether they are other engineers, customer-facing, etc. You believe inspiration can come from anywhere
- You have a “can do” attitude and are comfortable making decisions to unblock yourself or others
- Desire to learn the ins and outs of global container logistics
- Strong written and verbal English skills to communicate with our international team
- Located in North or South America
- Leadership: You’ve led projects and mentored other team members
- Python: You’ve implemented projects in python or have familiarity with libraries like Pandas and Numpy.
- Machine Learning: You’ve made significant contributions to machine learning projects in a professional context
Why Join Us?
This is a golden moment at Terminal49. We’ve built out a basic service that small and large businesses now rely on to run their operations. We’ve achieved profitability. We’ve intentionally created a remote culture centered on high trust and high performance.
There are a ton of challenges on the horizon, and we’re having fun rising to meet them. For many, this kind of environment is exactly why we work in startups.
While we have a long ways to go, we’re building forward from a strong foundation. We invite you to join us in continuing to develop our roadmap and company culture.
- High Trust & High Performance Culture (Our Values)
- Fully Remote & Schedule Agnostic
- Holidays & Sick Leave + Flexible Vacation Time
- Comprehensive Medical, Dental, & Vision Insurance
- 401K plan Dependent care
- FSA (employee premium paid by us)
- Wellness Stipend
- Equity Opportunities
For US employees, the compensation range is $140,000 - $200,000. When hiring internationally, we use the US range as a starting point and then adjust for relevant market factors as applicable.