Research Intern (2024)
Theorem is an industry-leading team of PhD researchers and engineers combining data science and machine learning to analyze the risk of consumer loans and make more accurate credit pricing and credit risk decisions.
Founded in 2014 by a Google software engineer and a Morgan Stanley quant trader, we are profitable and growing. Our technology is the backbone to the $2B+ portfolios we manage for some of the world’s most prestigious institutional investors, including university endowments, foundations, and pension funds.
As a Research Intern, you will help to build new models and reports, as well as evolve the existing models and infrastructure we use to host our live scoring capabilities.
Our paid research internships for PhD students and postdocs are offered over the summer semester. Internships are full-time over 12 weeks with flexible start dates in May or June, working onsite (hybrid) with our research team in San Mateo, CA.
Intern projects at Theorem are varied, ranging from specific problems to more open-ended questions for exploration. Given the small size of our team and our growth trajectory, intern projects are highly relevant to our business and work on a real code base. Internships at Theorem are intellectually challenging and allow interns to get a realistic look into what a full-time employee works on in their role here.
What You’ll Do
- Investigate data, construct a hypothesis, and think deeply about the results. When you discover something new, you will apply it and be able to see immediate results
- Care more about analysis being correct then achieving a p-value below 0.05
- Work with a group of thoughtful, collaborative colleagues with a variety of backgrounds in a process of scientific inquiry
- By honestly and openly reviewing the work of others, and having your work reviewed by them, you’ll ensure Theorem’s decision-making process adheres to the highest scientific standards
- Learn and apply ideas across multiple disciplines: computer science, machine learning, statistics, biostatistics, survival analysis, natural language processing, and data science
What You’ll Gain
- Mentorship by a senior researcher — a highly technical research and business leader committed to your success at Theorem
- Collaborative partnership with data engineers, partnerships team members, capital markets professionals, investor relations and sales colleagues, as well as many other operational areas
- You'll learn and develop business expertise in unsecured consumer lending and adjacent asset classes, underwriting, and credit risk default modeling
What We’re Looking For
- You're currently a postdoctoral fellow or in the latter stages of a PhD program in science and mathematical disciplines
- You have a high level of mathematical and statistical literacy, and an intense interest in applying quantitative analysis to do first class research
- You enjoy working with data. This is the lifeblood of our business, where your hypothesis starts and your testing ends
- You are creative. You love coming up with original hypotheses to expand and refine your understanding of the world, and a framework to validate them
- You’re comfortable writing code. And you’re good enough at it to efficiently explore the model space and find winning ideas
- Your research background includes devising novel approaches to solving problems and applying them to real world data to achieve robust, repeatable results
- Knowledge of finance is great – but in no way a requirement
- You have an interest in applying scientific techniques to financial markets
- Located in the US
- Expected full-time salary range between $125,000 to $160,000
- Advertised and actual salary ranges may differ by geographic area, work experience, education, and/or skill level
We foster an environment that welcomes professionals with a diversity of backgrounds and ideas. We value professionals who are thoughtful, innovative, tenacious, and mission-driven. Every member of the team has a major impact on the company's success with visible contributions to the business. We encourage and reward growth, learning, and a solutions-seeking mindset. We offer a competitive salary and opportunity for equity ownership, generous benefits, and an inclusive and collaborative work environment. If you’re excited by the opportunities to create outsized impact as part of a world-class team, we strongly encourage you to apply.
We provide reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in job application procedures. If you have any difficulty using our online system and you need an accommodation due to a disability, you may use the following alternative email address to contact us about your interest in employment: firstname.lastname@example.org. Alternatively, you can contact us at 415-489-0457.
Theorem is an equal opportunity employer and we provide work authorization sponsorship.