Senior Software Engineer
Columbia, MD, USA
Posted on Wednesday, March 9, 2022
Zentail's mission is to make e-commerce simple. Our software makes it easy for brands and retailers to centrally manage product information, listings, inventory, pricing, orders, and fulfillment on major online shopping sites including Amazon, Google, Facebook, Walmart, eBay, Shopify, and BigCommerce.
At Zentail, our product developers are passionate about building a great product. You will have the opportunity to work as a part of a small team of extremely talented software engineers. The work you do every day will have an immediate effect on our platform and the success of our customers. Being part of a small team also means wearing different hats and being pushed out of your comfort zone from time to time. Day-to-day work will include designing new features, working as part of a team to deliver new product improvements, triaging and fixing bugs, and contributing to an evolving code base and development process.
In this role, you will:
- Build, maintain, and evolve critical infrastructure to accommodate growing business needs and product complexity.
- Help oversee the security of our systems and data.
- Inform major design, architecture, and capacity planning decisions for the engineering team by applying a seasoned systems perspective.
- Uphold best practices in engineering, security, and design
- Design, implement, test, deploy & upkeep backend and frontend features.
- Communicate with the team, both on a technical and non-technical level.
What you'll need to be successful:
- Six or more years of professional software development experience
- BS degree in Computer Science, similar technical field of study, or equivalent practical experience.
- Experience designing, deploying, and managing cloud infrastructure
- Deep knowledge of Docker and cloud technologies
- Experience with infrastructure as code tools (Terraform)
- Excellent problem-solving and debugging skills
- Strong ability and desire to learn, work hard and build great software.
- Enjoy not being tied down to a specific programming language or surface area of our codebase
- Comfort in an unstructured work environment
- Be naturally curious and willing to take a step to learn something they don’t have experience in
Would be nice to have:
- Ability to solve complex design, scaling, latency, or performance problems
- Self-starter attitude and the ability to execute new ideas with autonomy
- Ability to find the right balance between perfection, scale and shipping quickly
- Programming experience with SQL.
- Programming experience with Go.
- Programming experience with PHP, Python or other scripting languages.
Why you might be exited about us:
- We're tackling a big problem with a massive opportunity. Zentail already manages over $1B / year in e-Commerce GMV
- We share an attitude of constant growth, optimism, and intellectual curiosity. We strive to reach our full potential by constantly improving ourselves and the product.
Why you might not be excited about us:
- We're a small but growing team, so if you like more established companies, this role isn't for you.
- We're a startup. Projects and priorities are likely to shift.
- Everyone on the team is extremely mission-driven, and works incredibly hard to push towards our lofty vision. If you prefer a 9-5 job or to rest-and-vest, this job isn't for you.
- You are a team-player who is able to thrive in ambiguity. This is not the kind of job where you show up and we tell you exactly what to do every day.
- Zentail is a rapidly growing start-up in an exciting industry. This is an opportunity to be an early member of an expanding and diverse team. As the company grows, more leadership positions will become available
- We believe in growth through autonomy. You will be in a position to own your success and have a direct impact on the direction of the company
- We believe in having fun and enjoying our work
- Zentail has high standards for quality in every facet of the company. This includes building an industry-leading product, best-in-class support, and developing motivated, intelligent people
- Stock Options
- $140-$160,000 yearly salary, dependent on skill and experience level
- Full Health Benefits- 99% paid premiums!
- 401k plan with company matching
- Weekly company lunches and Monday morning bagels
- Quarterly team events
- Flexible paid time off
- A casual work environment with hyper-motivated world-class engineering, operations, and sales team
- Unlimited snacks, coffee, and sparkling water to keep you energized
- High-spec Linux laptop
- The office is centrally located to Baltimore and D.C. for easy commuting
- Flexible, hybrid work environment
Zentail's Hybrid Office Model
- Currently, employees at Zentail are expected to come into the office two days a week, Monday and Wednesday
- Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday are optional with many people choosing to work from home on those days
- Because of this, all applicants must be local and willing to come in two days a week
- At this time we are not currently hiring for completely remote positions
Applicants should be aware that Zentail does have a vaccine mandate in place. Employees are required to be fully vaccinated or are asked to provide written documentation regarding medical or religious vaccine exemption.
All offers of employment at Zentail are contingent upon clear results of a thorough background check. Background checks will be conducted on all final candidates and on all employees who are promoted, as deemed necessary.
We are interested in every qualified candidate who is eligible to work in the United States. However, we are not able to sponsor visas at this time.